ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I don't think where they're built is the issue. The issue is in components. It's all recycled crap.
Used to be able to put new carbon brushes in the alternator.
Can folks still do that to renew the juice output from the spinning inside the magnets?
The windings don’t go bad.

I don't disagree with you, but the habitability of the planet should take precedence over protecting Detroit while it pushes out yet another gas guzzler, and our heavily subsidized oil industry.
and you missed the entire point.
1. China is still cranking out coal plants and that dirty electricity is powering vast swathes of China' manufacturing, unlike the US where coal is being phased out.
2. China can make cheap stuff because the government supplies cheap money.
3. China is every companies' partner in China - no questions asked. If you ask a question you will not be heard from again.
4. The Chinese accounting practices are weak.
5. The Chinese "OSHA" standards for workers are weak.
6. The Chinese human rights standards are non-existent - see Uyghurs for example.
7. China has completely lied about Hong Kong remaining as it was before it was turned over to China in 1997.
8. Despite what China calls itself, it is a dictatorship. President For Life Xi won the National People's Congress Election by a landslide (sarcasm) 2952-0.

Making a supposedly affordable EV car for the US in China ignores all the dirty stuff going on in China.
I am not pretending that the USA is some master of doing the right thing, but the USA regulatory standards attempt to do the right thing. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. But China's regulatory standards are practically non-existent when compared to the USA.

Here is a Chinese English website review of the Seagull. It is hilarious. It seems to be the perfect car! there is nothing wrong with it! Look at the high scores! If you decide to read it you will find that there are zero negatives to the Seagull and lots of unexplained high scores.
"Crash safety results gave the BYD Seagull scores of 78.79%, 100% and 87.10% respectively in the frontal collision, side collision and whiplash tests." When a bicycle crashed into the Seagull? What do the numbers mean?

Last edited:
1. China is still cranking out coal plants and that dirty electricity is powering vast swathes of China' manufacturing, unlike the US where coal is being phased out.
2. China can make cheap stuff because the government supplies cheap money.
3. China is every companies' partner in China - no questions asked. If you ask a question you will not be heard from again.
4. The Chinese accounting practices are weak.
5. The Chinese "OSHA" standards for workers are weak.
6. The Chinese human rights standards are non-existent - see Uyghurs for example.
7. China has completely lied about Hong Kong remaining as it was before it was turned over to China in 1997.
8. Despite what China calls itself, it is a dictatorship. President For Life Xi won the National People's Congress Election by a landslide (sarcasm) 2952-0.

Making a supposedly affordable EV car for the US in China ignores all the dirty stuff going on in China.
I am not pretending that the USA is some master of doing the right thing, but the USA regulatory standards attempt to do the right thing. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. But China's regulatory standards are practically non-existent when compared to the USA.

Here is a Chinese English website review of the Seagull. It is hilarious. It seems to be the perfect car! there is nothing wrong with it! Look at the high scores! If you decide to read it you will find that there are zero negatives to the Seagull and lots of unexplained high scores.
"Crash safety results gave the BYD Seagull scores of 78.79%, 100% and 87.10% respectively in the frontal collision, side collision and whiplash tests." When a bicycle crashed into the Seagull? What do the numbers mean?

All true.

Another interesting thing is China also leads the world with the most solar power generation with a total solar capacity of 2,919 GW. I believe China now has the worlds single largest solar farm. India isn't too far behind.

I could go point by point down this list and my response would be the same - "Yes this absolutely true, but if the Chinese government wants to subsidize the transition to clean energy we shouldn't let this unrelated issue stop them".

The CCP is a terrible dictatorship, I still think the good of cheap solar panels and EVs outweighs all that.

Also enough about the Seagull, that would never sell here in the US just like legacy automakers make basic tiny cars specifically for other markets that Americans would never buy. I'm more interested in BYDs newer upmarket models and what NIO is doing.

I'm more interested in BYDs newer upmarket models
Not sure I'll make it through this entire video (he talks too fast), but been reading about BYD on the Aussie ski forum threads about EVs for a while. The comparison is between the top of the line BYD and the lowest priced Hyundai Kona.

January 2024

Should have finished my thought on NIO, but they are releasing semi solid state batteries that should double EV ranges, and already have battery swapping stations in production

Detroit still can't make current EV tech profitable, Elon has lost is mind, and Tokyo is chasing the Hydrogen White Rabbit. Seoul might end up being contender, though I don't know what they have in the pipeline.

I think it's important to listen to Toyota. Arguably one of the best car manufacturers in the world. They may have some insight regarding EVs. EVs won't go away, too much has already, foolishly, been invested.

Ahh yes, the company with the absolute worst EV on the market doesn't think they are future...

Back