ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

More likely their cars are simply more reliable
Could be. That’s the rep I hear.
Ah, Hyundai bought Kia a while back. Didn't know that. My impression is that VW spent a lot of money developing the ID.4. The major negatives in reviews seem to be related to the software, not the design and function of the car.

" . . .
“Hyundai Motor Group’s core strength lies in its complete vehicle portfolio—ranging from cars with internal combustion engines, EVs and even hydrogen-powered cars.

“Hyundai Motor Group is de facto the only global carmaker that can mass-produce all of the vehicle segments at a decent level. In particular, Hyundai Motor’s technological prowess in EVs remains unmatched,” Professor Kim Pil-soo, from Daelim University College, told The Korea Times.

In 2023, Hyundai and Kia EVs were the second-best-selling cars in the United States after Tesla. The Group’s Kia EV9 electric vehicle has won multiple awards for its design and technology.

While the South Korean automaker’s EV sales have substantially grown over the years, Hyundai Motor Group has still been affected by the EV market’s slowdown. As a result, the Group decided to produce hybrids at its upcoming Metaplant in Georgia, originally designed for exclusive EV production.
. . ."
I 100 percent think software is the real challenge with evs.

Make it Street Legal for ~$11K.
This one from China is street legal for ~$11K but it ain’t allowed in the USA.
Could be a dang hybrid golf cart-car if ya put a club carrier rack on the back and don’t take it out when the courses are muddy FTW.

Last edited:
I 100 percent think software is the real challenge with evs.
Or any new car these days. Every time I rent a car, it takes a while to figure out relevant parts of the software needed for a week or so. Longer than it used to when there wasn't a touch screen in the middle of the dash.

The Seagull gets all the headlines due to its 11k price point but looking at it next to those F150s you can see why it would never sell here in the US

The Sea Lion is much more interesting

Sadly Biden announced today that we're going to increase tariffs on Chinese solar panels, batteries and EVs. I guess fighting climate change needs to take a back seat to fighting China

Of course they'll say that, but they're making the $ on ice and hybrid. Manufacturers are losing money on EVs.

I want a motor, not a battery. Batteries, to me, feel disposable, motors can be fixed.
The battery definitely makes them feel disposable and is absolutely the weak link. But electric motors are significantly more reliable and lower maintenance than ICE. Just like turbine engines are more reliable than piston engines and have much longer TBH intervals. I believe once they solve the battery issues I think many of us skeptics will feel different. I know I will.

I know when I go to the golf course I always prefer an electric cart over a gas cart. In fact I don't know anyone that prefers a gas cart when an electric is available.

In other news I see Honda is going to offer a hydrogen fuel/plug-in hybrid CR-V.

I'm sitting happily with my ICE CRv for now but it's interesting to watch as the tech evolves.

Sadly Biden announced today that we're going to increase tariffs on Chinese solar panels, batteries and EVs. I guess fighting climate change needs to take a back seat to fighting China
Give me a call when China follows US rules and regulations on pollution, mining, manufacturing, human rights, corp governance and finance. Maybe increased tariffs on Chinese EV cars/solar panels/batteries will do more to prevent climate change than allowing these Chinese products to flood the US market.

Right now in China, the only rules that matter come from President for Life Xi Jinping.

I don't disagree with you, but the habitability of the planet should take precedence over protecting Detroit while it pushes out yet another gas guzzler, and our heavily subsidized oil industry.

I don't care how many solar panels, windmill's, or EVs are around, it won't change a damn thing.

MaNatch will do what she wants and there's nothing we can do to change that.

Back