ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That’s a big if, access to “clean” electric.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/electricity-prod-source-stacked
The crypto mine on Seneca Lake used to be a coal burning electric generator. Then it went to be a natural gas bitcoin mine thingy🍺after the Marcellus Shale gas came to town.
NYS DEC just denied it’s appeal for a permit.
Gravy ain’t good for ya neither.
The clean I am referring to is, for example, I get 90% of my charging from my solar. I am sure I have to add some footprint for my solar, but that is quite clean over time.

NY has pretty clean electric. Vermont is phenominally clean. West Virginia, it is greener to drive an ICE.

Edit - not trying to virtue signal. I wanted to be green with the solar to be green and for financial reasons.

Europe is almost 2/3 CO2 free now:

Fossil fuels dropped to their lowest point since reliable record-keeping started in 1990, making up less than a third of EU’s electricity generation in 2023. Carbon-pollution-free power generation — which includes renewables and nuclear energy — made up more than two-thirds of the electricity mix, and twice as much as fossil fuels.

We could do it too if the will was there.

Edit - Nuclear does make up a large part of the EU's power, which you can argue about how green it is.

This is interesting - Hyundai surpassed VW to become no. 2 in gross profit behind the mighty Toyota. What is interesting they cited their balanced line up - ICE, hybrid, and EV - as the reason.

More likely their cars are simply more reliable

This is interesting - Hyundai surpassed VW to become no. 2 in gross profit behind the mighty Toyota. What is interesting they cited their balanced line up - ICE, hybrid, and EV - as the reason.

Ah, Hyundai bought Kia a while back. Didn't know that. My impression is that VW spent a lot of money developing the ID.4. The major negatives in reviews seem to be related to the software, not the design and function of the car.

" . . .
“Hyundai Motor Group’s core strength lies in its complete vehicle portfolio—ranging from cars with internal combustion engines, EVs and even hydrogen-powered cars.

“Hyundai Motor Group is de facto the only global carmaker that can mass-produce all of the vehicle segments at a decent level. In particular, Hyundai Motor’s technological prowess in EVs remains unmatched,” Professor Kim Pil-soo, from Daelim University College, told The Korea Times.

In 2023, Hyundai and Kia EVs were the second-best-selling cars in the United States after Tesla. The Group’s Kia EV9 electric vehicle has won multiple awards for its design and technology.

While the South Korean automaker’s EV sales have substantially grown over the years, Hyundai Motor Group has still been affected by the EV market’s slowdown. As a result, the Group decided to produce hybrids at its upcoming Metaplant in Georgia, originally designed for exclusive EV production.
. . ."

Came across this article from January 2023 about charging during the winter in assorted regions looking around for ID.4 stuff. The subtitle is "Broken chargers, full charging stations, single-digit temperatures, and optimistic range estimates have tested our patience." There are a number of Motor Trends articles in the Long Term category for hybrids, PHEVs, and EVs that seem like good summer reading.

January 2023

What is interesting they cited their balanced line up - ICE, hybrid, and EV - as the reason.
Of course they'll say that, but they're making the $ on ice and hybrid. Manufacturers are losing money on EVs.

I want a motor, not a battery. Batteries, to me, feel disposable, motors can be fixed.

Back