ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

If trump wins
Will they do away with the tax credit?

Yeah the y is a great value. We need even cheaper for mass mass adoption.
$41K at the top end is pretty cheap when you consider that the average new car transaction price is $47,401

I'm skeptical that Americans with will buy really small cars en masse, especially with families. Everyone around here with 1 or 2 kids seems to need to drop them off at pre-school in some giant Palisade/Telluride/Atlas/Tahoe etc.
Yeah, Americans are big on overkill. For pre-school we used the paddle board to a short walk. Sure, it took a few minutes longer, but it was time well spent.

1715280584386.jpeg

There are going to be lots of competitors to the Y in the next three years. Right now it is only the Kia/hyundai variants.

Chevy blazer, rivian r2, Honda prologue, etc. oh wait two of those are out. Wow.

I cannot wait for Kia ev3 to be unveiled in late May. I think first deliveries will be either late 24 or early 25. 35k BEFORE tax credit. It is a small run about town that will have decent range. Ie what we really need for evs. A good second car for families that need two cars in city through ex urbs.

Saw an ad on TV this week for the new Honda Prologue 2024, their first EV model.

Haven't watched the 1:20 min review by Out of Spec yet. The earlier video reviews seem to be mixed between positive and negative based on the titles.

Feb 2024

Saw an ad on TV this week for the new Honda Prologue 2024, their first EV model.

Haven't watched the 1:20 min review by Out of Spec yet. The earlier video reviews seem to be mixed between positive and negative based on the titles.

Feb 2024
I don't know the details fo the JV, but the guts of the skateboard (powertrain in an EV) is the same as the Blazer, with the prolouge being a JV between Honda and Chevy. I saw this review. It was generally positive.

One of the Tesla co founders (JB Straubel) left Tesla in part to focus on mass ev battery recycling; I tend to think over time the recycling can get pretty good. Even today you can repurpose batteries for less intense use (though he wants to commercial intense use like and ev).

For the footprint/greeness issue, it looks like from what I have seen it is about on average an ev needs to get to 18,000 driven miles to equal the footprint of a gas car and if you have access to clean electric it is all gravy at that point.

Last edited:
... and if you have access to clean electric it is all gravy at that point.
That’s a big if, access to “clean” electric.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/electricity-prod-source-stacked
The crypto mine on Seneca Lake used to be a coal burning electric generator. Then it went to be a natural gas bitcoin mine thingy🍺after the Marcellus Shale gas came to town.
NYS DEC just denied it’s appeal for a permit.
Gravy ain’t good for ya neither.

Back