ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That's not what was said. He said, “If you’re driving a truck today, my expectation is you’re going to be able to retire driving a truck.”
That doesn't mean that they'll be driving the same kind of truck or for the same company. My thinking is that the over-the-road and terminal to terminal routes will be by self driving trucks. The city and local delivery routes will still be by truck drivers.
True.

But truck drivers are a close-knit group. It won't be received all that great, and I definitely think they'll make some noise about it.

If there's indeed a shortage a of truck drivers doesn't this make their jobs better, and potentially more valuable? They no longer have to sleep on the road and can return home after their shift. From the shippers perspective, they can move more product and the value of each additional driver is increased to get the goods off the highway and to the local delivery warehouse. Potentially resulting in higher wages.

Totally just wondering aloud here.

If there's indeed a shortage a of truck drivers doesn't this make their jobs better, and potentially more valuable? They no longer have to sleep on the road and can return home after their shift. From the shippers perspective, they can move more product and the value of each additional driver is increased to get the goods off the highway and to the local delivery warehouse. Potentially resulting in higher wages.

Totally just wondering aloud here.
Valid point 👍

Ya have to have certified training to be a pilot.
Ever been to the DMV?
DMV is Saranac Lake was easy peasy. Try going to DMV in NJ. Ya gotta make an appointment, they never keep the appointment time. Office is more crowded than a Japanese subway and there are armed guards to keep order.

Trip the the DMV is a lost afternoon.

OTR jobs are as significant percentage of truck driving jobs. If half of the jobs for drivers are gone that will put downward pressure on wages.

I'm not lobbying for or against. All kinds of people get caught in the crossfire of the market.

I watched a show this weekend about Pabst and how they survived prohibition. They switched to making processed cheese (got in some trouble for infringing on Kraft's patents) and then went back to making beer after prohibition was repealed.

Automatic transmission and cruise control began the slippery slope.
Nah. Auto transmission allows you to drive 10 & 2😁
I think autopilot for airplanes isn’t as good a corollary as it seems. The sky is extremely empty compared to the Earths surface. They can already get a robot car to navigate around an empty parking lot successfully. Toddlers and pet cats never step in front of a commercial airliner. They never lose their gps connection under a tree or an overpass or a thick cloud.
You're right the airplane autopilot is not a good corollary. Plus even with autopilot both crew must be awake and monitoring, ATC is still providing direction and altitude guidance and traffic alerts.

One the other hand one of the most challenging phases of the flight is taxiing at a large and busy airport --- it takes both crew paying attention.

Last edited:
Highway travel is almost they now. Secondary roads is going to take a while.
330 mile drive to Stowe maybe 90 percent on highway and the system made my life easy.

I admit on the way down I probably let myself be more distracted knowing how well it performed. But it allowed me to engage more safely with my kids and just look around more and enjoy scenery.

DMV is Saranac Lake was easy peasy. Try going to DMV in NJ. Ya gotta make an appointment, they never keep the appointment time. Office is more crowded than a Japanese subway and there are armed guards to keep order.

Trip the the DMV is a lost afternoon.
The DMV in The Cuse was a waiting game menagerie.
There was a couple in the burbs entailing a longer drive but ya could get in and out quicker.
The one in Auburn was well run.

Back