ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Ya also need good brakes to win the race.
Brake by Wire FTW.
Drove one of the new lithium battery Club Car golf carts for the back 9 Friday.
Best thing about it drivewise was ya didn’t need to set the brake when ya stopped even on a hill. Dang magnets FTW.
It has a brake pedal in case folks need it but never had to touch it.

Even if I were to buy an EV, I don't want no stinkin' full self drive. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong big time.
It is interesting. I haven’t been in a full self driving vehicle.
I like what I think Toyota and rivian do - on highways it will basically drive for you keeping a set distance behind the vehicle in front. My only gripe is that in the metro area you get cut off left and right because ironically it keeps a safer following distance than metro drivers do.
My biggest complaint about the car is that you cannot set plain cruise control. You get (a) lane keeping and steering adaptive cruise control (feels like self driving) on highways or (b) adaptive cruise control on any road.
I would love old school normal cruise control.
In bad (very bad) weather an and b don’t work, though with software updates it has been very limited when it won’t engage due to weather. Maybe 10 times total in 17,000 miles. Of course if you use common sense that is when you want it the most.

Drove one of the new lithium battery Club Car golf carts for the back 9 Friday.
Best thing about it drivewise was ya didn’t need to set the brake when ya stopped even on a hill. Dang magnets FTW.
It has a brake pedal in case folks need it but never had to touch it.
Yeah one reason I don’t like driving ice now - in two days you get used to one pedal driving. Very rarely uses mechanical (pedal) brake now.

I like what I think Toyota and rivian do - on highways it will basically drive for you keeping a set distance behind the vehicle in front. My only gripe is that in the metro area you get cut off left and right because ironically it keeps a safer following distance than metro drivers do.
There are three distance options for my RAV4 Prime for the adaptive cruise control. The shortest one works reasonably well in city traffic that isn't too crazy. The RAV4 requires two hands on the wheel. If nothing is sensed, then there is a reminder. When I've played with the lane assist on empty highways such as I-88 north of Binghamton, the car will take the curves on its own. But the system isn't meant as a "self-driving" mode.

How sophisticated is the full self driving mode? If I sit in my driveway and punch in an address a few towns over that requires lots of turns, a little highway driving etc… will it get me there without further intervention? At least under ideal conditions? I mean can it handle a road without clear yellow lines, intersections without lights or stop signs?

will it get me there without further intervention?
Most likely not. When I occasionally turn it on in local roads to test it out I end up taking over eventually.

On the highways and major thorofares, (ex rt 59 in Nanuet) you would most likely not need to intervene is my experience.

I haven't watched this particular video but this guy does good demos of it

They are videos out there with people sleeping in the backseat while the car is driving some of them to die
Reminds me of the awesome animated movie Wallie (sp?). We have to use technology responsibly. Something people have not been so good at.

I don't know how you sleep in a car without a human at the wheel.

Back