ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I don't agree about auto trans. I do see it with more modern versions of cruise.

I feel like cruise control makes accidental speeding tickets less likely. Like I was going down hill and didn't realize how fast I was going. That said, that extra tension relief probably contributes to a lack of attention.

I also like the fact that it is really hard to slam the front of your car into an immovable object.

FWIW on the highways I find FSD to be safer then the Automatic Cruise and Lane keeping assist on my Alltrack. They give you just enough autonomy to zone out for a few seconds but they don't react fast enough when someone cuts you off, or when there is a sudden stoppage.

Humans aren't great drivers either, and the goal of getting humans out of the driving loop is a laudable one, both from a safety and productivity perspective. But releasing a technology like this that people can abuse and don't properly stay engaged with is problematic.

I hope this all results in a truly Level 5 system some day but I'm just not sure that you can train a Computer Vision model on every possible scenario. Then again, I'm not a crack ML Engineer.

We've been flying on planes for 25 years on autopilot. When they get it dialed in on automobiles they'll be less traffic and accidents.

I think autopilot for airplanes isn’t as good a corollary as it seems. The sky is extremely empty compared to the Earths surface. They can already get a robot car to navigate around an empty parking lot successfully. Toddlers and pet cats never step in front of a commercial airliner. They never lose their gps connection under a tree or an overpass or a thick cloud.

I think it's inevitable. I also think there will be some disruption.

Top jobs by state:

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 12.51.15 PM.png

In the article posted by @trackbiker there is a quote saying something like "no one who is currently driving a truck will be forced to find new employment before they retire."

Not sure I buy that.

I think autopilot for airplanes isn’t as good a corollary as it seems. The sky is extremely empty compared to the Earths surface. They can already get a robot car to navigate around an empty parking lot successfully. Toddlers and pet cats never step in front of a commercial airliner. They never lose their gps connection under a tree or an overpass or a thick cloud.
Ya have to have certified training to be a pilot.
Ever been to the DMV?

Highway travel is almost they now. Secondary roads is going to take a while.

I think it's inevitable. I also think there will be some disruption.

Top jobs by state:

View attachment 24685

In the article posted by @trackbiker there is a quote saying something like "no one who is currently driving a truck will be forced to find new employment before they retire."

Not sure I buy that.
That's not what was said. He said, “If you’re driving a truck today, my expectation is you’re going to be able to retire driving a truck.”
That doesn't mean that they'll be driving the same kind of truck or for the same company. My thinking is that the over-the-road and terminal to terminal routes will be by self driving trucks. The city and local delivery routes will still be by truck drivers.

Back