ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

And yes Ev demand is growing, however the rate of growth is both decelerating and decelerating more quickly than was expected.

Like inflation, prices aren't coming down, they are just rising at a slower rate.

I'm learning.

China and Europe are big drivers. In China, one of every three new cars are EV. Europe 1/5 and the US 1/10. Those three countries/regions are responsible for 95% of EV sales.

All kinds of stuff is subsidized.

No doubt our government subsides more than any of us really know. My point is let the manufactures bare the burden of moving their own product with incentives instead of tax breaks. Let's see them stand on their own performance. Admittedly people here have purchased EVs due to tax breaks and no sales tax.
I bought and installed heat pumps. I bought them solely based on performance. I did get a tax break but didn't find out about that until after they were installed and paid for.

Let's see them stand on their own performance. Admittedly people here have purchased EVs due to tax breaks and no sales tax.
How do you feel about the $14 Billion we give in subsidies to the oil and gas industry every year? Even if all 1.2 Million EVs sold in the 2023 qualified for the full $7500 tax credit that's still only $10 Billion total.

I'd be fine with letting EVs stand on their own performance if ICE did too. And if we really want to be fair about it we should be paying for the C02 we release into the atmosphere, both at the pump and at the smoke stack. "Let the market decide" what they want to drive when everything is priced according to it's true cost.

The unfortunate truth is a carbon tax is political untenable, so we go with carrots instead of sticks to try to even the playing field.

Not gonna pretend I understand all of this, and there's a bit of smoke and mirrors around what car this battery is actually attached to, but China again at the forefront:

620 Miles of Range With 370 Mi Charging in 10 Minutes

That's pretty damn close to ICE for filling up on a road trip. Not that you'd ever really have to with 620 miles of range.

CATL LFP is currently the cheaper, less dense battery option that Tesla uses on it's base models. The advantage though is that it "likes" being at 100%

No doubt our government subsides more than any of us really know. My point is let the manufactures bare the burden of moving their own product with incentives instead of tax breaks. Let's see them stand on their own performance. Admittedly people here have purchased EVs due to tax breaks and no sales tax.
I bought and installed heat pumps. I bought them solely based on performance. I did get a tax break but didn't find out about that until after they were installed and paid for.
This smells funny

Back