ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The battery swap is a curious step with lots of questions.

Do I buy a new car with a new battery and then swap it out for a used battery? To me, that seems crazy.
or
Since the battery is such an expensive part of the car and you are swapping them out, shouldn't the car be much cheaper?
Obviously there are swapping stations in other countries, but in the US they have not happened - why is that? possible answer - too expensive.
The article mentions power is cheaper at night, but with solar and wind as major sources of power, that might not be true anymore.

In the US, the battery packs are part of the support structure of the car and sometimes have liquid cooling making them difficult or impossible to swap in a refuel time frame. They are also low in the car for handling purposes but also subject to abuse/damage that might make a normal swap even more difficult. Musk/Tesla faked a battery swap about 10 years ago and Tesla has completely abandoned the battery swap.

Despite what the article says, the swapping stations will cost a fortune:
1. Expensive electrical supply depending on how many batteries are stored
2. Expensive equipment handling for heavy battery packs and storage
3. Expensive fireproof storage buildings with big time fire control systems in case of battery fires (who wants to live near a swapping station - not me)
4. Need excess inventory of batteries beyond the supply of cars to support the battery swap. Since batteries are so expensive, what company wants to inventory batteries?

Without the Chinese govt 'financing', I doubt many companies would want to finance and store/charge expensive batteries.
You've nailed it.
Being the battery is a structural part of the cars the amount of labor to change them out is crazy!

We've had to purchase special lifts and machinery to handle batteries. The next issue is having techs willing to work on them. They look like lineman with all the PPG they have to wear. The common comment is, I didn't become a mechanic to do this.

New Tesla Model 3 Performance vs Honda Civic Type R:

Starting price:
• Civic Type R: $45k
• Model 3 Performance: $45.5k (including Fed EV credit)

Range:
• Civic Type R: 298 miles
• Model 3 Performance: 296 miles

0-60 mph:
• Civic Type R: 4.9s
• Model 3 Performance: 2.9s

HP:
• Civic Type R: 315
• Model 3 Performance: 510

Power type:
• Civic Type R: Gasoline
• Model 3 Performance: Electric

All well and good
But will the resale value of the Tesla be in 5 yrs ???!!

Probably 30k. They need to do better with the tires..
I don’t know yet but agree w TJ from what I see the all terrains 50k are getting 30.

My ATs only have 6,500 and snows over 10k. I can see wear on the at front. Rivian says to rotate every 6500 which I ll plan to do and largely lines up with switching in and out the snows. I have like another 1,800 or so for the snows to get there but I should really switch em out now.

PS tires are a huge piece of efficiency for EVs more so than ICE. Some ppl are getting much more or less range on their Rivians going more aggressive AT or getting smaller diameter tires.

Back