ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Example of a drivetrain that works for a certain kind of driver.
FWIW he wants an EV, but hates Musk so much that he won't buy a Tesla. I think he's waiting for GM to get it's act together with the Blazer. He loves Rivian too but it's out of his price range.

FWIW he wants an EV, but hates Musk so much that he won't buy a Tesla. I think he's waiting for GM to get it's act together with the Blazer. He loves Rivian too but it's out of his price range.
Good example of how politics spoils everything. I wouldn’t object to a vehicle that meets my needs for something like that. On the other hand the issues with battery production regarding environmental damage, slave labor, child labor etc still bother me.

Good example of how politics spoils everything. I wouldn’t object to a vehicle that meets my needs for something like that. On the other hand the issues with battery production regarding environmental damage, slave labor, child labor etc still bother me.
I know people want to retreat to their echo chambers and hear what they want to hear about EVs, but those internet myths around EVs being just as bad for the environment then ICE have all been debunked.

The "nowhere to charge" thing is kind of a BS myth. The real rap is that charging is not as convenient as filling up, not that you can't find a place to do it. If you are traveling a long way you (currently) have to plan out your route. Possibly wait to get a charger, and then take the time to charge.

Also, they don't address the enviro and human rights impact of battery mineral mining.

The article completely ignores the idea that for some/many EV and hybrids are ideal. When I am not skiing I drive less than 20 miles a day. We could surely have one of our two cars as EV or pluggin.

The mandate as currently formed ignores the fact that some people can't use EVs. It doesn't mean they are useless.

That said I'll be surprised if batteries aren't much better by 2035 or whenever.

That said I'll be surprised if batteries aren't much better by 2035 or whenever.
I'm hopeful it will be sooner then that. 150 kwh is almost twice what's in my Y LR, so you're talking at least 500+ miles.

I get we want to protect American industry and jobs, but if China is going to be so far ahead of Western EV manufactures we should open up the flood gates.

We live in interesting times. We need more infrastructure but it is building out.

Drove from Stowe to my house 337 miles away. Started at 90 percent, stopped 187 miles in at 24 percent. Scarfed some chipotle and got the kids a donut each, unplugged at 74 percent, arrived home with 24 percent, the second leg exactly 50 percent and 150 miles.

It was plug and play. Two or three weeks ago Rivian opened a high speed charger at Holyoke mass. I pulled up, opened my charge port, plugged in and hit chipolte. It was 3 hours in from Stowe and then due to traffic ended up being another 3 hours to my house (that leg could be 2:30 with no traffic).

It would have involved either more thought before this charger opened or adding 30 minutes and going through NY.

It was quite a fun trip and the road tripping was fun.

Attachments

• IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    703.8 KB · Views: 56
Back