ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

It is very much related. I used to drive a half hour to work to then drive an hour and a half in a V8 van or truck one way to service clients. I did that for over 20 years. When I finally refused, the local work became available. Now, through careful planning I mostly e-bike and if I need to we have a small van to shuttle supplies.

We can all benefit from rethinking things.
Not driving is pretty great, regardless of whats powering the engine. This is coming from a car guy who did 35-40k annually, working out to about 10-20 hours of windshield time weekly. What is most striking to me now that I drive significantly less is how much more dangerous the roads feel when I do get in the car now. We don't take the responsibility involved in operating these machines seriously enough in this country. The convergence of "FSD", distracted drivers and 9K pound electric SUV's makes me feel very uneasy as a road user and pedestrian in 2024.

Not stoked on hauling around big batteries or burning things, seems like a bad idea.

I’m a little dismayed by all the thought and planning that’s still required. When can we expect to just plug in and let it fully charge- however long that takes? Even if we can’t expect EVs to ever be as convenient or efficient as an ICE, when will it be user friendly enough for a sales rep that drives 35k miles a year and doesn’t know each day whether it’ll be a 70 mile day or a 200 mile day?
One reason I have a PHEV instead of an EV is that I don't feel like dealing the a different planning process for how to keep a car "fueled up." With the RAV4 Prime, I simply plug it in at L1 or L2 and it won't get overcharged. The system also doesn't let the "traction battery" get depleted below 20%. It switches to hybrid mode when necessary when EV miles goes to "zero" in the dash display.

The number of EV charging stations continues to increase. Still regional though in the USA. Far more options for both types of vehicles and approaches to urban charging in Europe from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Very robust charging infrastructure here. High level of ev adoption.
Full ev land rovers
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_3938.jpeg

Not every drive train is right for every driver.

If everyone who could make efficient use of a pluggin hybrid, bought one, I bet we cut our energy consumption significantly.

In the end that will happen whether we like it our not. Aka "the market."

In the end that will happen whether we like it our not
Well maybe. Plug-in hybrids and hybrids in general are still getting shit on by the EV advocates. I’m very happy with my Sienna. It took me from around 18-20 mpg with past trucks/SUVs/minivans to over 30 mpg but that’s not good enough for a lot of people.
Aka "the market."
You sort of contradict yourself here. There are mandates in place to go EV by a set date in a lot of states, including NY. That isn’t the market.

Other than that I’m glad to hear that EVs are already more plug n play than all the YouTubers and EV enthusiasts obsessing over charge times and percentages would make you think.

Well maybe.

You don't think people will buy what suits them best? That's the market. Sounds like that is what you did.

I was using pluggin hybrid as an example. Substitute ICE, EV or whatever in that sentence.

I don't believe the mandates will happen unless batteries make a big jump forward.

to over 30 mpg but that’s not good enough for a lot of people.
Apologies if I offended. My personal feeling after test driving a PHEV was that they are unreliable, and yes if you aren't plugging in constantly the emissions benefits are negated and can be worse then straight ICE

A buddy of mine has a Rav4 Prime, plugs it in everyday and barely uses any gas. He loves it and if there's one brand I would trust with a PHEV it would be Toyota.

A buddy of mine has a Rav4 Prime, plugs it in everyday and barely uses any gas. He loves it and if there's one brand I would trust with a PHEV it would be Toyota.
Example of a drivetrain that works for a certain kind of driver.

Back