ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Not exactly a road trip, but took the Tesla on it's longest tip so far, ~ 60 miles to Westchester and back. Charged it to about 74% the night before and got back with about 34% so that pretty much tracks advertised mileage. That's also with this aftermarket plate holder which I would think adds some turbulence. When we drive down to Baltimore I'll remove it completely.

Fully autonomous "Robotaxis" - I'm doubtful, but for an ADAS I gotta say FSD is great. Other then a toll both I never had to disengage it while on the highway.
Did you try the the free self driving feature that was unlocked for you? I would like to hear about it if you have.

Yes
Did you try the the free self driving feature that was unlocked for you? I would like to hear about it if you have.

Yes. I got 3 months of it free when I bought the car + an additional free month when everyone else got it. v11.something was what was installed originally on the car. I tried it and thought "meh". v12 however is a major improvement, currently on v12.4

It's impressive, but not perfect. On local roads my unprofessional rating would be B-. It's pretty good, can handle most scenarios including pedestrians, cyclists, delivery trucks, cones, construction and other narrow situations quite well. I don't like how it makes left hand turns though and I think there's a design flaw in that the side cameras are on the B pillars instead of the A pillars so it has to pull out farther then you would in difficult to see intersections. It doesn't "think" far enough ahead. If you happen to know the stretch of road on Prospect Ave from Mt. Pleasant Ave in West Orange I know to keep moving over to the right before each intersection. The Tesla doesn't know that and it got stuck behind a car turning left. It's also very conservative with stop lights, yellow lights, and intersections in general, and I often get impatient with it and just prefer to drive on my own.

Where it really shines is on highways, stroads, and other more established thoroughfares. It's fantastic and can confidently merge, change lanes, and just get you to where you are going with often no manual driving needed. It forces you to pay attention as it has a camera that watches you and if you pick up your phone or fumble with the infotainment it yells at you and makes you jiggle the wheel. I hate driving down the GSP in the left lane with all the construction and the concrete barriers right up to the line, it's super tight and nerve racking, and you have very little space. FSD handled it with ease.

A lot of the criticism around it goes something along the lines of "if I have to spend all this mental energy babysitting it then I'd rather drive it myself". I feel that way on local streets, but in the above scenarios I think the mental load is less on FSD.

Musk set the bar too high with fully autonomous, no steering wheel "Robo Taxis". If you look at it as an ADAS IMHO it's well worth $100/month.

It's impressive, but not perfect. On local roads my unprofessional rating would be B-. ... It's Where it really shines is on highways, stroads, and other more established thoroughfares. It's fantastic and can confidently merge, change lanes, and just get you to where you are going with often no manual driving needed. It forces you to pay attention as it has a camera that watches you and if you pick up your phone or fumble with the infotainment it yells at you and makes you jiggle the wheel...

A lot of the criticism around it goes something along the lines of "if I have to spend all this mental energy babysitting it then I'd rather drive it myself". I feel that way on local streets, but in the above scenarios I think the mental load is less on FSD.
Will folks ever come up with dang self driving skis-ski boots?
Dang snowboards are a bit trickier to robotize.

They already have decent robo-golf and are trying out robo-umps for minor league baseball this year.

I'll check my ODO more closely next time but this account looks completely unhinged. Just saying.

I’m a little dismayed by all the thought and planning that’s still required. When can we expect to just plug in and let it fully charge- however long that takes? Even if we can’t expect EVs to ever be as convenient or efficient as an ICE, when will it be user friendly enough for a sales rep that drives 35k miles a year and doesn’t know each day whether it’ll be a 70 mile day or a 200 mile day?
Somewhat unrelated to this thread, I used an ebike to cover accounts in the city when I was still working a sales gig. Too many hours of my life were spent sitting bumper to bumper on the BQE and LIE, I figured there had to be a better way. I did have to top up the battery with more accommodating accounts. Zipping across the GWB after a long day with a grin knowing I could be stuck in traffic made the sweat equity and additional logistics worth it. Unfortunately the bike didn't cut it if I had to carry samples. I did Fort Lee to Coney Island in an hour thirty minutes on the bike one day when driving would have taken nearly two hours, and no tolls!

Somewhat unrelated to this thread, I used an ebike to cover accounts in the city when I was still working a sales gig. Too many hours of my life were spent sitting bumper to bumper on the BQE and LIE, I figured there had to be a better way. I did have to top up the battery with more accommodating accounts. Zipping across the GWB after a long day with a grin knowing I could be stuck in traffic made the sweat equity and additional logistics worth it. Unfortunately the bike didn't cut it if I had to carry samples. I did Fort Lee to Coney Island in an hour thirty minutes on the bike one day when driving would have taken nearly two hours, and no tolls!
It is very much related. I used to drive a half hour to work to then drive an hour and a half in a V8 van or truck one way to service clients. I did that for over 20 years. When I finally refused, the local work became available. Now, through careful planning I mostly e-bike and if I need to we have a small van to shuttle supplies.

We can all benefit from rethinking things.

Last edited:
Back