ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I’m a little dismayed by all the thought and planning that’s still required. When can we expect to just plug in and let it fully charge- however long that takes? Even if we can’t expect EVs to ever be as convenient or efficient as an ICE, when will it be user friendly enough for a sales rep that drives 35k miles a year and doesn’t know each day whether it’ll be a 70 mile day or a 200 mile day?

Concur

Ain't nobody got time for that shit
I mean I actually depend on my car to make my living. It’s not a hobby. It seems like even if I invested in the best home charger I would still need to really plan the day carefully. A few years ago, this was sold as “you’ll plug it in when you get home and you’ve got 300 miles to play with in the morning”. That still seems far away even if I invest 100k in the EV truck/home charger combo.

I’m a little dismayed by all the thought and planning that’s still required. When can we expect to just plug in and let it fully charge- however long that takes? Even if we can’t expect EVs to ever be as convenient or efficient as an ICE, when will it be user friendly enough for a sales rep that drives 35k miles a year and doesn’t know each day whether it’ll be a 70 mile day or a 200 mile day?
With the ranges you quoted it is ready today. If I have to go more than 250 miles I need to grab juice. Other than that I plug it in when I take the dog out for his last pee walk and it full in the morning.

I mean I actually depend on my car to make my living. It’s not a hobby. It seems like even if I invested in the best home charger I would still need to really plan the day carefully. A few years ago, this was sold as “you’ll plug it in when you get home and you’ve got 300 miles to play with in the morning”. That still seems far away even if I invest 100k in the EV truck/home charger combo.
24 miles per hour it charges. 12 hours if you need 300 miles. Mine probably charges between 4 and 10 hours per night.

@Brownski. Plenty of 300+ mile range options including the Model Y Long Range which is 310 miles. Dom and I just like to nerd out over the stats and over optimize.

All you'd have to do is set your charge limit to something like 85% which gives you a comfortable 260 miles, and plug it in every night and it will be recharged within 3-4 hours at the full 48 amps.

Come on look who is posting. Dom enjoys this shit...like Harvey likes to squeeze as many MPG he can get.
Hey, I get it. But I also get what Broski is saying. The last thing I need to worry about is plugging in my truck before I head out to an auction the next day. I get in it and go. No thought required. If I need fuel I'll stop and get some which will only take a matter of minutes. Like I said be4, I'm willing to pay for convenience.

Hey, I get it. But I also get what Broski is saying. The last thing I need to worry about is plugging in my truck before I head out to an auction the next day. I get in it and go. No thought required. If I need fuel I'll stop and get some which will only take a matter of minutes. Like I said be4, I'm willing to pay for convenience.
I don't find plugging in much of an inconvenience. Just like plugging your phone in every night. If your not going over 250 miles it's more convenient than a gasser.

Broski is spreading misinformation based on his parameters.

Back