ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Like I said, heresy.

I don't need the 80 mile range, I'm unlikely to take a UTV off our land. I think the 40 mile version is currently 29k. I'm using the money I'm saving by buying an ICE car. 🤠

The neighbors are pretty close, the closest is maybe 300 feet. (She's also he whiniest one!) I like the idea of making less noise.

Does storing an EV in the cold reduce the life span of a battery?

I know it reduces range for that charge, but I wonder about long term effects on the battery.

May be some heresy in my future:

So as far as I know basically only two or three things affect battery health and this is not one. With a big caveat you do not want to go to 0.

1. Discharging and charge constantly over entire battery range.

2. Storing at high state of charge and or high heat

3. Largely fast charging which I imagine is not an issue for a utv

Is discussing EVs vs ICE vs hybrids not the point of this thread? If there's another please inform
It’s possible that Camp’s carbon footprint is smaller than your’s even though he drives an ICE pickup.

1. Discharging and charge constantly over entire battery range.

2. Storing at high state of charge and or high heat

3. Largely fast charging which I imagine is not an issue for a utv

This is helpful.

So...?

Charge to 80% if you don't think you need every bit of range?

Store at 80% of charge?

Is a level two fast charge? I was looking at the Level 2 charger for the garage, should I consider it?

The website says it takes 8-12 hours to charge the Polaris. They don't say if that is drip or Level 2. They also don't say if it is the 40 mile Ranger or 80 mile version.

Honestly 8-12 hours is fine. If I am running that thing 40 miles a day, every day, I'll be stunned, so charging overnight is ok with me.

They also say, don't charge to 100% until you've charged 45 times.

This is helpful.

So...?

Charge to 80% if you don't think you need every bit of range?

Store at 80% of charge?

Is a level two fast charge? I was looking at the Level 2 charger for the garage, should I consider it?

The website says it takes 8-12 hours to charge the Polaris. They don't say if that is drip or Level 2. They also don't say if it is the 40 mile Ranger or 80 mile version.

Honestly 8-12 hours is fine. If I am running that thing 40 miles a day, every day, I'll be stunned, so charging overnight is ok with me.

They also say, don't charge to 100% until you've charged 45 times.
If they say something, follow it. The 100 percent thing that is specific to them I would absolutely follow. Anything they say is really important.

For my daily use I stay between 50 and 70 percent charge. If I will go further I go 80 or 85 percent.

I would store closer to 50-70. And if it is hot summer I would try to store closer to 50.

Back