ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Do you not go down to 40s or even high 30s because of the "in case" factor?
Oh sorry I do go fairly low into the battery when needed. I wasn’t clear.

For Tesla I know Musk has said something like 10-80 or 20-90 is fine for daily.

If I can help it, I try to stay around 40-70.

This weekend we went out to Montauk/camp hero for a scout campout and I arrived back home with about 45-50 miles of range / 15 percent. I didn’t think twice about it.

Honestly 8-12 hours is fine. If I am running that thing 40 miles a day, every day, I'll be stunned, so charging overnight is ok with me.
I put around 1000 miles/yr on mine and I use it a bunch! So yes, I think you'll be fine if that's the way you want to go.

I have to say, and I know you know this, but for what you'll be spending you can get a Ranger 1000 premium plus a snowblower for it. IMO, way more bang for your buck being where you'll be living.

I put around 1000 miles/yr on mine and I use it a bunch! So yes, I think you'll be fine if that's the way you want to go.

I have to say, and I know you know this, but for what you'll be spending you can get a Ranger 1000 premium plus a snowblower for it. IMO, way more bang for your buck being where you'll be living.

I never really thought about miles. Our entire trail network is about 2 miles, and I'll probably expand it to 3. I'd be surprised if I put in 500 miles a year. In winter I probably won't use it much, but I will use it hard (I hope!) to plow.

The snow blower thing is compelling. The snowblower does one thing no other snow removal device can do - it removes that snow from the equation for the rest of the season, as you blow it over the banks. You don't have to think so hard about it, or plan in advance by plowing a bigger area.

Also that 29k is probably a base price. I want a cab and a glass windshield based on recommendations I got here.

This is helpful.

So...?

Charge to 80% if you don't think you need every bit of range?

Store at 80% of charge?

Is a level two fast charge? I was looking at the Level 2 charger for the garage, should I consider it?

The website says it takes 8-12 hours to charge the Polaris. They don't say if that is drip or Level 2. They also don't say if it is the 40 mile Ranger or 80 mile version.

Honestly 8-12 hours is fine. If I am running that thing 40 miles a day, every day, I'll be stunned, so charging overnight is ok with me.

They also say, don't charge to 100% until you've charged 45 times.
Level 2 is faster charging than a three pronged plug but not considered fast charging. Phase 2 charger would put 24 miles per hours into it. They must need talking 3 pronged.
You leave it plugged in and it will turn itself on and off.. In the winter up there you will lose 50%.

This electric lawnmower still working?
Oh yeah, ready to go, no tune up needed. Mean Green was bought by Generac who also bought DR Power. DR is now offering a zero turn with smaller removable packs that can also power their new electric walk behind brush cutter. Might go that route to replace my backup Scag and Billy Goat gassers.

They just lowered the speed limit on my drive to work from 45 to 35.

Today I got 58 on the drive in. :rolleyes:

In the winter up there you will lose 50%.
50% of range?

If my range is 45 miles and I get 20, that should be enough to plow my driveway.

I assume the steep hill and the snow load probably take the range down a lot more, but how far are you actually driving? A mile?

I'll be real curious to see how that machine works for plowing your driveway. I have some serious reservations about the EV. Those temps will suck the life out of that machine.

I hope to answer that question before I buy it. That's kind of why I am rattling around in this thread.

I see these possibilities:

● It's completely inadequate for plowing
● It's enough to plow the driveway in light snow
● It's enough to plow the driveway in any snow, if I keep up with it, and don't use the battery for anything else that day.

In any of those cases, if I own a tractor, it won't matter.

If it is the first option, then I have to decide if the quietness, and the reduced maintenance, is worth it.

I was thinking, year one, using the UTV and my current plow guy, as plowing backup. If I use the plowing backup a lot, that's more reason to buy a tractor.

Maybe on a pow day, I use the UTE to blast one car width down the driveway, and then clean it up with the tractor when I get home.

Back