ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I hope to answer that question before I buy it. That's kind of why I am rattling around in this thread.

I see these possibilities:

● It's completely inadequate for plowing
● It's enough to plow the driveway in light snow
● It's enough to plow the driveway in any snow, if I keep up with it, and don't use the battery for anything else that day.

In any of those cases, if I own a tractor, it won't matter.

If it is the first option, then I have to decide if the quietness, and the reduced maintenance, is worth it.

I was thinking, year one, using the UTV and my current plow guy, as plowing backup. If I use the plowing backup a lot, that's more reason to buy a tractor.

Maybe on a pow day, I use the UTE to blast one car width down the driveway, and then clean it up with the tractor when I get home.
I didn't look at the specs but the power will not be the problem. I wouldn't worry to much about the range. You will have more then enough to do the driveway. Then you plug it back in and your set for later in the day. 50% is zero degree weather and plowing. Heck if you spent 500 bucks you could put a phase 2 in and have it back to full in 2 hours. Then when/if you make the jump with one vehicle you already have the charger.
The question is can you put a blower on it? IMO personal property looks much better with a snow blown driveway.

I didn't look at the specs but the power will not be the problem. I wouldn't worry to much about the range. You will have more then enough to do the driveway. Then you plug it back in and your set for later in the day. 50% is zero degree weather and plowing. Heck if you spent 500 bucks you could put a phase 2 in and have it back to full in 2 hours. Then when/if you make the jump with one vehicle you already have the charger.
The question is can you put a blower on it? IMO personal property looks much better with a snow blown driveway.
And ya won’t wake up the folks sleeping before ya hit the slopes with the dang brraappps from an ICE blower.

Agree

I have a blower for my tractor. The thing is amazing! Being it doesn't snow anymore, nor does the ground stay frozen, I don't bother putting it on. Changing shear pins is a real PITA.

110 hp, 140 lb-ft of torque. In the old days that was a Japanese car!

I didn't see a PTO on the rangers I saw. Is it an option? Adding a gas motor to an EV to blow snow seems dumb to me.

As usual TJ has you thinking. If the UTV wasn't so fun and useful in the woods, it might make more sense to have something like this:

It's a lot cheaper. Less than half the price, and it does half the job.

But for me the UTV will be the KEY to keeping our trails maintained. I'm not carrying a big chainsaw a mile, several times a year. Trees fall down all the time, and I'll be able to zip out, cut them up, and if it's good wood, bring it back to the woodpile. WAY easier on my back.

True. The reality is, that's what I want to drive in the woods.

Everything else is just a justification. :sneaky:

Back