ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Flat road. Because of friction (?) you can never fully recover the losses. Same in a hybrid.
??? An ICE never recovers any of the brake force, but a hybrid will recover a significant amount depending on the car. Don't think you are right on this one.

And the cold thing is really only when you first start the car and I think it's more of a pure EV thing. Regular hybrids burn dino juice to heat things up and don't have much capacity anyway.

And look if it ends up being break even or a little better, you still have to recover the extra 10k you put into it.
Well that I agree with, and it's one of the many reasons I'm skeptical of PHEVs (see rant above). Many PHEVs are like $10K more then the ICE equivalent.

But regular (non plug-in) hybrids are becoming fairly competitive with straight ICE. My Dad is looking to replace his RX-350 at some point (I'm trying to convince him otherwise), and the regular hybrid is only $1K more then the straight ICE.

I haven't been scientific about my measurements so I could be wrong.

I am comparing a ICE CRV to a hybrid. The 2017 CRV that I crashed is very similar to the current ICE CRV. 100% same drivetrain, but not sure about vehicle weight.

The CRV ICE has a 1.5 liter turbo. It's the nicest best motor I've ever owned. They don't put that motor in the hybrid because it is not powerful enough to get the extra battery weight uphill. The 2.0 liter that goes in the hybrid really works hard uphill. It revs super high on big hills. I assume they set it up this way because they don't want to put a bigger motor in it.

The hills I am considering big:

• The hill that goes up to Belle from Pine Hill
• The hill on I87 that brings you into Warrensburg NY on the way to Gore
• The 900 foot hill that our adk camp is on (important to us because we will drive it every day)

The last time I drove to Gore, I was at 34 mpg for the entire trip when I got to the bottom of the Warrensburg hill. Two miles later, at the top of that hill I was under 30 mpg. That 2 miles was averaged into a 200+ mile trip.

What are you driving and what have your numbers been?

The combination of winter/hills/skibox knocks about 4 mpg off the Sienna.
That seems excellent. What are the numbers with and without the 4 mpg?

Have you measured your total average MPG round trip for both the hybrid and non hybrid? Your comments are about going to the mountains. It's coming down when I would expect the hybrid to make it up and then some. Especially from Belle which is pretty much all decline down to the highway.

Quick glance at the CRV though shows not a whole lot of difference between hybrid and non hybrid on highways so maybe you have a point.

Alltrack with box and winter tires gets about 28/29 I find. Over 30 when it's stock but I'm hardly driving it now that we have the Tesla.

Have you measured your total average MPG round trip for both the hybrid and non hybrid? Your comments are about going to the mountains. It's coming down when I would expect the hybrid to make it up and then some. Especially from Belle which is pretty much all decline down to the highway.

Quick glance at the CRV though shows not a whole lot of difference between hybrid and non hybrid on highways so maybe you have a point.

Alltrack with box and winter tires gets about 28/29 I find. Over 30 when it's stock but I'm hardly driving it now that we have the Tesla.
My guess is that it nets out basically. The real challenge for an ev is the cold.

I tend to get about a 7-10 percent penalty there and about equal bump down. Shockingly the mid parking lot is like 2,500 above sea level.

Yep
I get 12.8 in the city, on the highway, uphill, downhill, into the wind, downwind, whether I'm towing or not.....LoL

Back