ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Okay Camp, tell us all what is you need a truck for. (Nevermind that there are EV trucks now)
3/4 ton for towing and especially in cold for sleds.

Moreover, I'm not willing to take the depreciation hit that the current EV market reflects.

EVs are great for those willing to roll the dice, but they aren't for everyone. Someday? Who knows.

It's looking more and more like an ICE for me if I replace my 2014 Crv in the next year. I'm at the point where its still got great resale value and it's in great shape but it has 100k miles.

I won't do a pure EV but a PHEV makes a lot of sense for me. Honda doesn't have an suv phev and I really want another crv. They are supposed to come out with a hydrogen fuel cell/plug-in hybrid but that's of no interest, especially at $60k.

Subaru would be on equal footing as Honda for us, but they aren't making a PHEV, otherwise I'd get an Outback or Forester. We really like both a lot!

Other manufacturers don't really excite me, though I'd entertain the idea of the RAV4 Prime. I know it's personal preference but when we bought our 2019 crv we liked it much better than the RAV4 we tested. I will definitely test drive the prime in the next year to give it another chance.

I guess I could buy something and drive it for a couple years to see what tech evolves. It just goes against my vehicle replacement cycle of 10 years which has never been an issue as a Honda owner. Yeah I'm a proud Honda nerd.

Personally I'm skeptical of PHEVs, there's a lot of stuff that can break across two drive trains and you still have to pay for the maintenance of a complicated turbo charged ICE. I test drove a plug-in Kia Santa Fe with 20 miles on the ODO and it literally broke down on the test drive. The ICE engine wouldn't come back on and we limped back to the dealership at 15 mph. The salesman then had the audacity to quote me $5K above MSRP.

That rant being over if you can hold onto your CRV for another year a lot more PHEVs are supposed to hit the market soon, including a PHEV forester built on Toyota tech. PHEV Subarus will print money for Subaru, both in upfront sales and over their lifetimes in service revenue.

Last edited:
I want a small turbo charged 4, in a small awd ICE pickup.

Getting a new cx5
Imo the best value in the suv space
This will be our 3rd one
Nice riding and most comfy mid price on market. Also it’s in the low 30’s

Back