ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I barely followed any of that Dom

Do you have to go into PSEG and manually move credits generated from your solar panels around to offset your over night charging? They don't just automatically adjust it for you?

Also do you have a home storage battery?

I barely followed any of that Dom

Do you have to go into PSEG and manually move credits generated from your solar panels around to offset your over night charging? They don't just automatically adjust it for you?

Also do you have a home storage battery?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear and it is a little bit complicated.

Assume you have two time rates, peak and off peak (just to make it easier). You can only generate excess credits during peak, but rates are cheaper in off peak. The system lets you exchange your peak to off peak at 2-1. If you know you won't generate enough electric to cover a 100% of your use, you have an incentive to switch credits to the offpeak time and charge what you can then.

If you have an EV and follow typical charging practices, then you charge at night when you will never generate.

So, I didn't reallze all of this even when they explained it to me; I only figured it out after speaking to them, seeing the different credits on my bill, and then going to the transfer form (they were also wrong, saying it was a 1-1 transfer but you actually get a good transfer rate, as good as 4-1 for 3-7 pm). Now that there is a lot of sun, I have banked a lot of credits, and have transferred like 1.5 months worth of evening use (car charging) to the evening credit bank - - 500 kWh to 1,000 after the 2:1 multiplier.

So, while I won't be able to optimize until the first year is over and I know how I charge and use with solar, it is plausible that while i calculated I would still have like 17% of my original bill because of Rivian charging, the arbitrage may let me get it down to 0. But, I had to burn like 3 months 100 utility bills to generate credits to move to the night. So, not super simple. Note that 100 pretty much corresponds to 1 month of driving the rivian pro rata 12,000 miles or so a year.

Answering your questions: 1) Yes, I have to have PSEG manually move it. I actually have to email them a handsigned piece of paper telling them which type of credit to move where (there is a actually another time period, 3-7 pm, that is 4-1). I appreciate them having this rate, but it is way too manual. It seems utilities are incremental and not leaders in innovation. But I have to say customer service, even when wrong, has been pretty cool about things.

2). Yes I have a battery. But only one. That would allow me to pretty much go indefinitely between solar and storage BUT for amperage reasons (they say) you can't use a level 2 charger when you only have one battery AND are off grid. That is fine by me, I knew that when I got the system. A second battery would have been like 8000 after taxes and credits so not justifiable (this was during peak inflation pricing. Once a month or so I run my battery down significantly just to maintain battery health.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear and it is a little bit complicated.

Assume you have two time rates, peak and off peak (just to make it easier). You can only generate excess credits during peak, but rates are cheaper in off peak. The system lets you exchange your peak to off peak at 2-1. If you know you won't generate enough electric to cover a 100% of your use, you have an incentive to switch credits to the offpeak time and charge what you can then.

If you have an EV and follow typical charging practices, then you charge at night when you will never generate.

So, I didn't reallze all of this even when they explained it to me; I only figured it out after speaking to them, seeing the different credits on my bill, and then going to the transfer form (they were also wrong, saying it was a 1-1 transfer but you actually get a good transfer rate, as good as 4-1 for 3-7 pm). Now that there is a lot of sun, I have banked a lot of credits, and have transferred like 1.5 months worth of evening use (car charging) to the evening credit bank - - 500 kWh to 1,000 after the 2:1 multiplier.

So, while I won't be able to optimize until the first year is over and I know how I charge and use with solar, it is plausible that while i calculated I would still have like 17% of my original bill because of Rivian charging, the arbitrage may let me get it down to 0. But, I had to burn like 3 months 100 utility bills to generate credits to move to the night. So, not super simple. Note that 100 pretty much corresponds to 1 month of driving the rivian pro rata 12,000 miles or so a year.

Answering your questions: 1) Yes, I have to have PSEG manually move it. I actually have to email them a handsigned piece of paper telling them which type of credit to move where (there is a actually another time period, 3-7 pm, that is 4-1). I appreciate them having this rate, but it is way too manual. It seems utilities are incremental and not leaders in innovation. But I have to say customer service, even when wrong, has been pretty cool about things.

2). Yes I have a battery. But only one. That would allow me to pretty much go indefinitely between solar and storage BUT for amperage reasons (they say) you can't use a level 2 charger when you only have one battery AND are off grid. That is fine by me, I knew that when I got the system. A second battery would have been like 8000 after taxes and credits so not justifiable (this was during peak inflation pricing. Once a month or so I run my battery down significantly just to maintain battery health.
Wow - the fact that you have to figure all this out and then do it manually is a nightmare. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
Finally got the Wall Charger installed and wow, what a difference in charging time, 25% in 100 minutes at the full 48/240.

Dom do you lower your charge rate? I lowered it to 24 amps which is still an order of magnitude faster then it was trickle charging before. Figured it's easier on the battery, my circuitry, and probably my electric bill as less heat gets wasted.

Finally got the Wall Charger installed and wow, what a difference in charging time, 25% in 100 minutes at the full 48/240.

Dom do you lower your charge rate? I lowered it to 24 amps which is still an order of magnitude faster then it was trickle charging before. Figured it's easier on the battery, my circuitry, and probably my electric bill as less heat gets wasted.
Hey great stuff. My view is take the max amperage you can draw.

You do need to know what circuit you are on. I have a 50 amp circuit, so I pull 40A.

If you have it installed with a 60 a breaker you can (assuming it was correctly installed) pull 48A. In that case it should be hardwired according to code.

To address your points (and an electrician or physicist would be better than me) 1. The heat issue should not be relevant unless something was not properly wired. The wires have to be a gauge that can handle the juice.

2. You will not hurt the battery at all charging at 48a 240, which is like 12 kw. When you high speed charge a Tesla can draw as much as 250 kw I think. You should not high speed charge all the time, but level 2 should never be an issue.

3. Similarly should not affect your electric bill any differently, except obviously if you are drawing at a higher rate the ultimate amount of energy is higher in a shorter period of time. Also check what time of use plan you are on as they may charge you more during the day or different periods of the day.

4. For battery protection you should not leave the car sitting at a high state of charge (don’t leave it around at 85 percent 90 percent for no reason, particularly at heat). Musk has tweeted you are fine charging 20-90 range (I think) in a tesla. For me during the week, I set the max to between 50 and 70 but I do not drive for my commute. Weekends I usually go to 85 percent t so I can just use the car and not worry. During ski season I got to 100 sometimes ahead of trips.

Check out the e for engineering guys video on dendrites and charging.

I high speed charge when it is convenient or needed for me (about 1 x per week during ski season and may be one or two times rest of year) and try not to let the battery sit at a high state of charge. I have not noticed range hit (it may be in the background but does not seem noticeable) and on good days I exceed stated range.

Yes, I do charge to 100 on occasion; when I do it I try to time my charge to end right before I leave. So let’s say like this weekend I am going to a scout camp it in Montauk. I will charge to 70 the night before this go round and then top off to 95 percent like 2-6 am set thru the app; we are meeting up at like 630 am to leave. Then driving 107 miles.

More than you asked for and free advice is worth what you pay but I have spent a lot of time looking into this.

Last edited:

Keep it at the max the charger will push. Level 2 chargers will not negatively effect the battery... And if you had it installed to specs it will have no negative effect on your electric system.
You put a 50 amp breaker in right? When you first hook it to the car it will auto set itself. Leave it there. If you messed with it you may have to flip the breaker to get it to auto read again. Mine set once and I have never looked at it again.
My truck came with a three pronged plug in and I have never used it once. Just seemed like pissing on a forest fire.
Dom is our EV genius. I just use it. It's not really complicated but can be if you choose to make it.

Back