ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

IMO cars need to be run. Letting them sit is not a good strategy.

Keeping them outside, and not running them, extra not good. And it's got 140k on it.
And winter is harder on cars than summer. A good mechanic our family knew said of a car got through winter it would get through summer.

Really interesting video on winter tires and awd/fwd/rwd.

People who say AWD doesn't matter, all you need is good snows...

This guy makes the point, it's much better going uphill in the snow. I'm sure that not getting stuck going uphill will reduce your odds of an accident, and generally lower your (my) anxiety.

And winter is harder on cars than summer. A good mechanic our family knew said of a car got through winter it would get through summer.
Eh. My crappy Ford 06 Escape was fine in winter but would over heat in summer

IMO cars need to be run. Letting them sit is not a good strategy.

Keeping them outside, and not running them, extra not good. And it's got 140k on it.
I agree, cars need to run. My comment motivated by the current cost of automobiles. I hung on to the blue Subie for our kiddo, then the future ex wife goes, she doesn't like that car and I unloaded it.

The first place we went to look at used cars, the wife and kiddo liked a 2014 Hyundai coupe. Elantra I think? We plunked down $12k for an 8 year old car with 104k miles on it. Three days later the check engine light came on. We found out the hard way that that model year, Hyundai had a run of cArs with bad camshafts and a class action lawsuit.

Perhaps @Campgottagopee will weigh in on the current used car market? Is it still outta control?

Last edited:
Is it still outta control?
Certainly not like it was. New car dealers now have inventory and manufacturers are coming out with decent incentives, so that's driving down the used car prices. That said, a clean, low mile, well maintained used car will bring still bring a premium. reason being most folks held onto their cars throughout the pandemic which drove the miles up in used cars. But they aren't more than what you can buy a new one for anymore. Thank gawd for that.

But they aren't more than what you can buy a new one for anymore. Thank gawd for that.
IMHO they are still too expensive. Depending on the car the asking price for something with 80K miles on it is still half the cost or more then a new one. With the exception of maybe a few Toyotas, 80K miles is more then halfway through the life of the car, at least before it starts needing a lot of money put into it. Not to mention you're getting older technology,

TLDR: The credit system for solar generators/solar panels with EV use present cool opportunities for rate arbitrage but require you to pay attention to your bill. It is not as simple as set it and forget if you use a time of use plan with solar and an EV.

For those on long island my rate plan is '195' with PSEG.

Detail:

So this is interesting - I starting looking at my electric bills with filling up the Rivian. They put me on a fairly unique plan with peak, off peak, and super off peak that is good for folks with solar and an ev. The interesting thing is they are letting me exchange 'banked' credits across the rate times. Peak energy generated (3-7 pm) exchanged for super off peak (10 pm to 6 am, which is when I charge) will get me a 4x multiplier (1 kWh at 3 pm would be 4 credits in that overnight period, or 4 hours).

Surprisingly, I had a $100 bill. That was because I had 684 kWh overnight usage (super off peak) and was not paying attention to the bill. I have 766(!) of credits in off peak, so I am transferring 500 kWh to the super off peak (when I will never generate because there is no sun then) that they will give me 2x on to 1000 kWh of 'overnight' bank.

If the trend keeps up, that means I could end up having a few hundred dollars of electric bills over the year, which basically matches my rought math that I would have to pay about 20% of electric with the use of the Rivian.

The arbitrage opportunity comes in because they are giving you 2-4x credit against the evening even if that period of time is only a 40% discount from peak to super off peak. This actually makes sense because at least in this metro area (more so NYC) in the summer there is a real threat of an occasional brownout. A real blackout because of grid strain happens maybe once every 10-15 areas in the city [I am not on the city grid but I bet the grid i am on - PSEG - gives juice to the city when needed].

Last edited:
TLDR: The credit system for solar generators/solar panels with EV use present cool opportunities for rate arbitrage but require you to pay attention to your bill. It is not as simple as set it and forget if you use a time of use plan with solar and an EV.

For those on long island my rate plan is '195' with PSEG.

Detail:

So this is interesting - I starting looking at my electric bills with filling up the Rivian. They put me on a fairly unique plan with peak, off peak, and super off peak that is good for folks with solar and an ev. The interesting thing is they are letting me exchange 'banked' credits across the rate times. Peak energy generated (3-7 pm) exchanged for super off peak (10 pm to 6 am, which is when I charge) will get me a 4x multiplier (1 kWh at 3 pm would be 4 credits in that overnight period, or 4 hours).

Surprisingly, I had a $100 bill. That was because I had 684 kWh overnight usage (super off peak) and was not paying attention to the bill. I have 766(!) of credits in off peak, so I am transferring 500 kWh to the super off peak (when I will never generate because there is no sun then) that they will give me 2x on to 1000 kWh of 'overnight' bank.

If the trend keeps up, that means I could end up having a few hundred dollars of electric bills over the year, which basically matches my rought math that I would have to pay about 20% of electric with the use of the Rivian.

The arbitrage opportunity comes in because they are giving you 2-4x credit against the evening even if that period of time is only a 40% discount from peak to super off peak. This actually makes sense because at least in this metro area (more so NYC) in the summer there is a real threat of an occasional brownout. A real blackout because of grid strain happens maybe once every 10-15 areas in the city [I am not on the city grid but I bet the grid i am on - PSEG - gives juice to the city when needed].
I used to think it was tough making sure gas wasn’t dripped on a warm lawn mower...

Back