ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Any special instructions for jump-starting at hybrid?

:eek:

Any special instructions for jump-starting at hybrid?

:eek:
Not really from what I can tell. But best to check for info about the exact model.

Had to deal with a weak 12V battery in the 2021 RAV4 Prime last week. That's more complicated, mostly in terms of figuring out the source of the problem. Also, a bit weird not seeing the battery itself under the hood. Don't need access though just for a jump. Wasn't hard to find a good How To video on YouTube.

Learned early on that a Prime is NOT to be used to jump another car of any kind. The 12V battery is not strong enough.

This was interesting with regard to urban charging: a high speed charging business model for the urban environment that is planning to make charging happen while urbanites live their lives (and not have to take extra steps to charge ultimately).

I believe (perhaps a poor summary) both Camp and Jason have noted that charging has to work for the urban experience and currently does not.

Gravity seems to be responding to this.
One interesting note that seems to underlie this - city underground systems are unique in that they can draw lots of power as in a grid, versus suburb and urban. This helps the Gravity model.

Daughter is driving a 2012 Prius (formerly my wife's car) and is going to SUNY Stony Brook in the fall. They won't allow freshman or sophomores to have cars. She suggested that we are building a three car garage, we could "keep" the Prius for her.

Uh no. First my tractor goes there, second I don't want to pay insurance for two years on a car that never gets driven.

I told her, we'll sell it and save the money for a new car we'll buy (or help buy) in her junior year.

She says to me "Ok then I want a Ford 150 Lightning. You can get one for $36,000." :oops:

You are a college student, not a contractor. You going to carry your textbooks in the bed?

"I love the interior!"

Can you turn in the tags and take it off yer insurance policy?

Does the car still run ok? Former wife's 2011 Prius started getting wonky at 170,000 miles. A lot of electrical gremlins.

IMO cars need to be run. Letting them sit is not a good strategy.

Keeping them outside, and not running them, extra not good. And it's got 140k on it.

Back