ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Yeah - so how I understand it is hertz got burned/ made bad decision concluding people would want evs as rentals (crazy idea to me s early adopter!).

Then when Tesla dropped new prices that hit resale values.

Then from accounting perspective this hit hertz’s books at a lower value.

Now there is a new CEO and these have to be sold!
EV got hit hard when people pointed out how bad the charging infrastructure was performing. Hertz needs to sell direct to consumers. They screwed up buying them and now they are screwing up getting rid of them. Dealers who got cut out of the loop will punish them asking to put them on their lots now.
It's pretty messy.
Having oil companies in charge of charging stations was not smart.
Selling direct to consumers will work but it's a tough fight.
I wonder what Henry Ford would think.

EV got hit hard when people pointed out how bad the charging infrastructure was performing. Hertz needs to sell direct to consumers. They screwed up buying them and now they are screwing up getting rid of them. Dealers who got cut out of the loop will punish them asking to put them on their lots now.
It's pretty messy.
Having oil companies in charge of charging stations was not smart.
Selling direct to consumers will work but it's a tough fight.
I wonder what Henry Ford would think.
How is it going on your battery range issue? Hope they are working w you.

To be fair this isn't exactly a great "deal"

1712334702550.png

Why would you buy a used one with 62K miles on it for $30K when you can buy a brand new one for $38 - $39K? The used one won't qualify for the tax credit as it's above $25K.

Not to mention these aren't just used, but rental used. Everyone knows they are beat to shit and have had that 0-60 time tested at every single stop light.

But of course that nuance is lost and the headline goes "NO ONE WANTS A USED EV"

But of course that nuance is lost and the headline goes "NO ONE WANTS A USED EV"
Most people don't want one. There's plenty of evidence to support that.

With the zero tax in Jerz, fed tax credit, if you live in a metro area, can use a sedan, and can charge at home, on the surface it makes sense.

Most people don't want one. There's plenty of evidence to support that.
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's unfortunate. Lots of disinformation out there to give people who are scared of change an excuse to keep spewing that CO2.

I don't disagree with you, but I think it's unfortunate. Lots of disinformation out there to give people who are scared of change an excuse to keep spewing that CO2.
I agree we you. Most people would drive one tomorrow if comfortable with the range and charging. Who wouldn't? Sure there will always be the engine heads out there that want their gasser (I being one if them).
Reality is it's just a better mode of transportation if they can get them right.

Last edited:
Hertz has them all over dealer auctions and nobody will touch them.
Do a lot of rental cars end up on dealer lots as used cars without people knowing they were rentals?

Bought one used car in my life, an 06' Ford Escape. What a POS. Swore I would never buy another Ford, or used car after that.

Back