ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

First official maintenance 15 months and 16, 549 miles in: purchase and shipping of a HEPA air filter for about $35 (other than windshield wiper fluid).

PS - I didn't know you are generally supposed to replace air filters every 15,000 miles. I have a fair bit of sand and road salt miles so don't mind replacing it.

PPS - I think Rivian recommends rotating tires every 6,500 miles. I have been quasi doing this because I run snow tires about half my miles. When I swap back in my all terrains in late April early May, I will rotate them then. Even though frequency of driving is less, I drive more in the winter being a flatlander. I had about 6,800 on the all terrains before swapped in the snow tires for this season.

Last edited:
Not having to pay for yearly maintenance is an added cost savings of EVs that doesn't get enough attention.

It's outrageous what the dealerships charge to change some fluids these days.

There is definitely lots of doom and gloom in the media. EV sales are growing. The rate of growth is slowing. I was suprised to the upside that EVs were like 6 or 7% of new car sales last year. I did not think that would happen for another set of years or so. But perception is important.

Tesla opening up their charging network and multiple car makers 'allegedly' coming to market in 2024/2025 with 25,000 evs should help EV sales.

That said anyone looking for a solid used EV can buy one from hertz for like 20k!

PS - I was excited that there were like 10 posts on this thread where I wasn't one of the posters!

That said anyone looking for a solid used EV can buy one from hertz for like 20k!
Hertz has them all over dealer auctions and nobody will touch them. Most auctions I attend sell EVs as-is because they have zero interest in arbitrating them. That's why Hertz is trying to dump them off to the public.

Hertz has them all over dealer auctions and nobody will touch them. Most auctions I attend sell EVs as-is because they have zero interest in arbitrating them. That's why Hertz is trying to dump them off to the public.
Yeah - so how I understand it is hertz got burned/ made bad decision concluding people would want evs as rentals (crazy idea to me s early adopter!).

Then when Tesla dropped new prices that hit resale values.

Then from accounting perspective this hit hertz’s books at a lower value.

Now there is a new CEO and these have to be sold!

Back