ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Congrats on your new car.

No better bang for the buck? That's quite a statement. I think once you factor in depreciation there may be some good competition in that market segment.
The Y has held value fairly well, it's the other 3 models that have depreciated. That being said I don't really care as I plan on keeping it for a long time. It's replacing a 2003 Camry

I'll stand by that statement. What other midsize car could you get for $40K or less with no sales tax, at a top trim with all the creature comforts, safety assit, 4 way lumbar, premium sound etc, with ample cargo space, top IIHS+ safety pick, AWD, and can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds? It doesn't exist. And that's before gas savings and not having to fork $4-500 over to the stealership's service department every year, even if you only put 5K on the ODO. I seriously considered an Outback, but a comparable model to the Y LR would put me in the top trim $43K Touring XT before sales tax.

I don't care for Musk, but the Y LR is a fantastic bargain right now

1711721270698.png

The Y has held value fairly well, it's the other 3 models that have depreciated. That being said I don't really care as I plan on keeping it for a long time. It's replacing a 2003 Camry

I've always been envious of those who can keep a ride for that long. Knowing that you can do that is a game changer.

Run er till the wheels fall of and enjoy 👍🏼

That's why I struggle with what do do when I have to buy a truck. One day I think I'll buy a new truck and run it forever, then the next day I think I'll just buy a POS that will only last a year so I can get another one quicker.

TBF the Camry was my parents car and I've only had it the last 5 of it's 21 years of life, but yes I plan on keeping the Y as long as I deem it safe for the fam

TBF the Camry was my parents car and I've only had it the last 5 of it's 21 years of life, but yes I plan on keeping the Y as long as I deem it safe for the fam
Gotcha

I do wonder if the model Y will have the same longevity as your 03 Camry has had.

One issue we have here is all the salt in the winter. If someone gets 10 years out of any vehicle it's pretty darn impressive. Or, they have a heated garage. Heated garages are game changers up here.

I'm hopeful. From what I read the battery is good for million miles (though you won't get the full range), and EVs have a lot less moving parts to go wrong.

The exhaust hanger just failed on my 5 year old Alltrack. Luckily it was under warranty (6 years), but it made me appreciate that the Y doesn't even have an exhaust :p

Grabbed some electrons at lunch. The math says a fill up from zero at a rivian charger is 44.90.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    800.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    708.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg