ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Hi basically yes. Nav and radio really take almost 0 so I never cut that.

In 20 degrees cutting heat to thee minimum to defog occasionally and using heated seats and wheel (again little power) I had 7 percent range loss. About 21 miles taking 300 to 280.

When I drove normally in similar temp I lose 25 percent or so.

Shorter drives would be worse. Like 8 miles to gore on a random morning you are at 50 percent efficiency because it takes time for the battery to warm. But also that is so short it doesn’t matter as even that drop is more efficient than any suv other than a hybrid.
I have noticed Teslas with fogged windows occasionally on the Sunday ride back to NJ while on the NYS Thruway. These fogged window Teslas are always in the slow lane.

I have noticed Teslas with fogged windows occasionally on the Sunday ride back to NJ while on the NYS Thruway. These fogged window Teslas are always in the slow lane.
I don’t take it that far. I don’t let my windows fog up.

I also don’t drop below 65. Though i will be in slow lane if i am consistently below 75 or if traffic is moving father than that.

Keep in mind that Tesla’s are notorious for overstating range while rivian under promises in my personal experience

Saw a nice lady who parked next to me get her boot bag outta the front of her car Monday at Song. Twas a Tesla. She said she liked it but not for long trips.

Saw a nice lady who parked next to me get her boot bag outta the front of her car Monday at Song. Twas a Tesla. She said she liked it but not for long trips.
I seem to be in the minority (though I don't think in the minority of Rivian owners) but I really enjoy the Rivian for long trips. Very frankly could also be that I came from a 12 year Honda CRV. It is comfortable, does 99% of highway driving by itself, good sound system, and I run snows in the winter so a lot of traction confidence.

For drives where I need to charge, I would want to stop anyway (I have gotten trained to stop about 3 hours in with my kids ages). If I know i have a destination charger, I can go to range which is about 4.5/5 hours driving.

I'm not scared of big trucks.... just can't justify owning one. I've occasionally gotten like an F150 or something as a rental when my car is getting serviced. Can't park that sucker straight no matter how hard I try.

If I hit the lottery, I'd buy a Unimog, not a Lamborghini.

View attachment 24273
True

If I didn't need a truck I'd drive a beater Subie.

True

If I didn't need a truck I'd drive a beater Subie.
I was taking 5 boys to a scouting swim test last night so they can swim in the scouting camp lake this summer without taking a swim test there. The youngest one (passenger 6) walking up to my car said, I like the Rivian truck better. I said, ok, get in the third row. He got in and said, I like the SUV version better.

It is a people hauler, haha.

Keep in mind that Tesla’s are notorious for overstating range while rivian under promises in my personal experience

Just bought a Model Y Long Range. $41k out the door including destination fees and no sales tax in NJ. I could have gotten it for $39k if I went with a boring color too. Bang per buck there might be no better deal for a car of similar size trim and safety right now, EV or ICE.

I don't plan on using it as a ski car though, that will remain the primary purpose of the Alltrack for now. But I am planning on driving it down to Baltimore in a few months and very interested to see how it goes. On paper I should be able to make it without charging but I'm not convinced, especially with 4 people, stuff, and all highway.

Will report back

The CRV hybrid needs an option to force the engine to run. Sometimes you want the engine warm. I need the heated seats, the air coming out of the heater is not hot enough. I think it's because the engine shuts off.

Good defrosting is a safety feature.

And you really don't want to have to add an electric backup heater. Kind of kills the whole point.

In other news, at recent temps, I'm getting 40+ again driving local.

Just bought a Model Y Long Range. $41k out the door including destination fees and no sales tax in NJ. I could have gotten it for $39k if I went with a boring color too. Bang per buck there might be no better deal for a car of similar size trim and safety right now, EV or ICE.

I don't plan on using it as a ski car though, that will remain the primary purpose of the Alltrack for now. But I am planning on driving it down to Baltimore in a few months and very interested to see how it goes. On paper I should be able to make it without charging but I'm not convinced, especially with 4 people, stuff, and all highway.

Will report back
The 4 ppl and stuff don’t matter unless it is on the outside like a bike rack.

Congrats.

Congrats on your new car.

No better bang for the buck? That's quite a statement. I think once you factor in depreciation there may be some good competition in that market segment.

Back