ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I leave mine 10% below where I want it for the day. When I wake up I set it where I want it and charge the rest. I leave the house with my battery between 65-75. I also turn the heat on right before I jump in the shower.

I leave mine 10% below where I want it for the day. When I wake up I set it where I want it and charge the rest. I leave the house with my battery between 65-75. I also turn the heat on right before I jump in the shower.
That’s smart. If you don’t want to bother with turning on the heat in the morning you cans set the time and temp you want it at ahead of time in the ap.

I wouldn't be able to deal with that. It would freak me the F out.

Good for you
To be fair for both your and Jason's comments, it was going back to my house in dense suburbia. I would not have been stranded only inconvenienced. I guess it is part of the early adopter mentality that I seemed to have embraced. I am having fun.

Even now, I dont think I would plan that way going away from home. For our Stowe trip, I am factoring in 15 percent range loss (that probably won't happen) and targeting getting in with 30-45 miles of range (we are planning a pitstop either Sugarbush or Killington). Stowe is a mecca for level 2 charging. In fact the Trapps where we are staying has 2 free chargers at the resort and 2 pay chargers at the beer hall. Alchemist has the fastest chargers in stowe, 50 kw (barely high speed charging, but having a beer there over an hour is not the worst thing in the world).

Last edited:
Also if you run out
Say 2 miles before destination. Ya can’t go get a can of gas
That's one of my top 10 concerns keeping me from pure electric. I'm sure some big brains will solve this at some point but til then my next purchase will likely be hybrid or better yet plug-in hybrid.

I wish Honda sold the plug-in hybrid CR-V in the USA.

Hey Dom, have you experimented with the whole turning off the heat, radio, nav etc to extend range? How much extra does that get you?

Hey Dom, have you experimented with the whole turning off the heat, radio, nav etc to extend range? How much extra does that get you?
Hi basically yes. Nav and radio really take almost 0 so I never cut that.

In 20 degrees cutting heat to thee minimum to defog occasionally and using heated seats and wheel (again little power) I had 7 percent range loss. About 21 miles taking 300 to 280.

When I drove normally in similar temp I lose 25 percent or so.

Shorter drives would be worse. Like 8 miles to gore on a random morning you are at 50 percent efficiency because it takes time for the battery to warm. But also that is so short it doesn’t matter as even that drop is more efficient than any suv other than a hybrid.

That's one of my top 10 concerns keeping me from pure electric. I'm sure some big brains will solve this at some point but til then my next purchase will likely be hybrid or better yet plug-in hybrid.

I wish Honda sold the plug-in hybrid CR-V in the USA.
AAA has been adding Mobile EV Charging to select cities for a while. I remember seeing portable EV chargers a few years ago. Think they were being deployed in Europe.

Reminds me of cell phones back in the 1980s. There weren't many cities with cell towers. Other cities were being added monthly.

July 2023

Back