ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Charged on a rivian high speed charger in new burg NY. After some hiccups the charger was beastly. Only open to Rivian’s right now. Avoid 1 an and 1b.

Kind of a big deal: Fords and Rivians now have access to Tesla supercharger network (15,000 units). To give you an idea of scope, all CCS (most common non tesla standard) totaled 16,000 units. Tesla has a 98% success rate on charges. I have charged on Tesla 'magic dock' stations that have a built in converter and it was basically plug and play - very easy.

The odd thing is Ford and Rivian say you have to use their (free) adapter but who knows when they will ship. There seem to be safe third party adapters that you can buy 2-3 weeks out that cost about $200. Rivian says they will ship in order of ownership starting in April.

Still very exciting news. I have a late April trip to Stowe (may ski Sugarbush or K town one day) and then a Summer trip to cape cod so this will be quite helpful if I have it.

I am on the fence about ordering a third party adapter - they appear safe from two companies and have been reviewed.

Kyle's Tesla charge with the Tesla-made Rivian/Ford adapter. Charged well.

Jason - your range anxiety point just took a big hit : ) - yes I have to wait 3-6 months until these adapters are everywhere to say that.

Kyle's Tesla charge with the Tesla-made Rivian/Ford adapter. Charged well.

Jason - your range anxiety point just took a big hit : ) - yes I have to wait 3-6 months until these adapters are everywhere to say that.

Thanks for posting this video. It is great that you will have access to the stable Tesla chargers. Here are some numbers from the video:
The Rivian added 82kwh for $31.16. That is .38/kwh. Our electric cost at home here in NNJ is .2176/kwh. The truck added 181 miles in 33minutes. The cost per mile at this Tesla charger is $.172/mile. If I charge at home, the cost is $.0986/mile.

I happened to fill up my VW TDI (26.4gal capacity) 2 days ago. We added 17.21gal @3.979/gal for a cost of $68.51. It took 3 minutes. I went 447 miles on the 17.21 gallons for a mpg of 25.97. This is $.153/mile. Our new range is 685 miles.

I am completely spoiled by the VW's monster range. But even if I had a vehicle with a more normal range like 360 miles (18gal capacity and 20mpg), I can still get to almost every area in Vermont from home without stopping and if I need to stop it will only be a few minutes and I will have plenty of choices. For me and my family, the electric with an under 200 mile range is still not going to work for skiing.

The week I order an adapter, Rivian opened a 9 stall high speed charger in Holyoke MA (like the one in Newburgh) that is only open to Rivians. This opens northern Vermont (Jay 227 miles).

Maybe you guys should ask me to take my snow tires off now?

This network is opening to all evs ‘later’ this year.

2.5 hours from metro by and 2.75 hours from Stowe.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpeg
    IMG_4122.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 29
The week I order an adapter, Rivian opened a 9 stall high speed charger in Holyoke MA (like the one in Newburgh) that is only open to Rivians. This opens northern Vermont (Jay 227 miles).

Maybe you guys should ask me to take my snow tires off now?

This network is opening to all evs ‘later’ this year.

2.5 hours from metro by and 2.75 hours from Stowe.
What are they charging per KWh

What are they charging per KWh
Oh I misread this. 36 cents a kw, which is as cheap or cheaper than paid for membership with EA or Tesla in the east. So a fillup from 0 (unlikely) is 48.60 on the pack you and I have. Recall from my cost post from the summer I drive this thing whereever I want and have time for, and my high speed charging was 10% of cost (so maybe 5% of miles) over my first 10,000 miles.

I originally read this as what you can pull. In Newburgh at 42 percent pulled 208k within 30 seconds. I stopped at 50 as it was only a test charge, didn't need the miles, and I was at 180kw.

Rivian sent a receipt saying I hit 213 k - it must have been very quickly. As you know, these are pretty insane speeds.

Back