ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The R2, being unveiled in a few days had a 'leak': apparently you could scrape the data from their public website (way beyond my comprehension to understand the tactics). Rivian is usaully pretty saavy so I wonder if they did this on purpose.

It looks like you can get a version for 47.5 k, after rebate that would be 40k for a bronco sized vehicle. Not sure if that is a good value ore not . . . . I would assume this is the cheapest trim. I would have liked to see a version that gets under 40 k with the tax break.

If you're gonna have solar and wind power you're gonna need lots of storage as well as other grid controls that are yet to be built. Whether or not any particular project is acceptable to the public or viable is another matter.

mm
So Solar & Wind need lots of storage, controls & other stuff that may be unacceptable to folks and/or viable.
Seems it’s a lot simpler to just Use Le$$ Energy.

So Solar & Wind need lots of storage, controls & other stuff that may be unacceptable to folks and/or viable.
The US has been trending downward on energey use since around 2000.
Screenshot (236) - Copy.png

The US has been trending downward on energey use since around 2000.

Coal use is down but it takes a lot of juice to run 5G, AI cryptothingys🍺 .

Using less energy never stabilizes carbon in the atmosphere until you take carbon out of the electric system. Your carbon free choices for electricity production are hydro, nuclear, solar and wind. All have their problems, but solar and wind seem the most acceptable, at least for now.
OTOH I agree that covering Vermont with solar panels may not be the best use of farm land, but the local farm economy has been losing out to industrial farms ever since the railroads were built. Restoring local farm production might be better than solar panels for a lot of reasons, maybe even better for energy use, but it's not gonna happen.

mm

Using less energy never stabilizes carbon in the atmosphere until you take carbon out of the electric system. Your carbon free choices for electricity production are hydro, nuclear, solar and wind.
OTOH I agree that covering Vermont with solar panels may not be the best use of farm land, but the local farm economy has been losing out to industrial farms ever since the railroads were built. Restoring local farm production might be better than solar panels for a lot of reasons, maybe even better for energy use, but it's not gonna happen.
Why not?
Plants eat CO2 & make O2 and cabohydrates.
What about using farms for biomass? Tis been done since folks started putting seeds in the ground.
Corn to juice comes to mind.
What about corn heaters? Folks have been burning wood since fire was figured out.

Last edited:
The R2 reveal was pretty impressive - 300 miles of range for 45,000 and then 7500 tax credit elligible. Bronco size
Filled up the Subaru gasser for $53 and it was just about out.
Gizmo says I have 560 mile estimated range.
<10 cents a mile with tax.
Doesn’t need a tax credit & I’ll subside yers.

Filled up the Subaru gasser for $53 and it was just about out.
Gizmo says I have 560 mile estimated range.
<10 cents a mile with tax.
Doesn’t need a tax credit & I’ll subside yers.
Bet you a dollar you don't get 560 miles. Your thingy doesn't work properly but you already knew that.😂

Bet you a dollar you don't get 560 miles. Your thingy doesn't work properly but you already knew that.😂
At this age there’s not too many thingys working properly.
I don’t bet except for a coupla bucks at golf.
I was surprised it said 560. It doesn’t matter to me except when it goes blank <40.

Back