ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Rivian's production numbers will be flat this year (though 60,000 ain't bad). They are cutting 10 percent of their work force.

I think it is important for them to have good deposit levels after the R2 reveal in order to be able to get more financing. I do not think they will disappear (worst case Amazon which owns 20 percent will buy them on the cheap). Nothing but positive things to say about the vehicle, and I made the right decision for me.

It also looks like there were modest price cuts and that they have leasing options (which circumvent the income limit on the EV tax credit). Time will tell.

The R2 is expected to price at 40-60,000. Let's hope they can actually have it in that range, including models in the 40,000 range. That would be 32.5 after rebate (which I think is now point of sale - taken off the price). Unveil is early March (7, I think).

My Rivian stock is now worth less than 20% of what I paid for it. I was thinking about doing a tax loss sale at the end of last year but did not pull the trigger. There is always this year!

I was chuckling about Elon telling the Rivian and Lucid guys to sleep in the factory.

The (R+L) CEOs are talking about "historically high interest rates."

That's misdirection IMO. EVs were a fad for a while, and that period is over, for now at least. I get that it's hard for a CEO to say that.

If you can't survive with a 7% interest rate, the future will be difficult.

IMO EVs are part of the future. It remains to be seen if the current players will be in the game.

Back