ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I think I understand what TJ was saying about the evolve chargers. They have worked awesome for me under shell recharge, but it looks like (from PlugShare) that EVolveNY switched over to ev connect or electrify America (depending on location) WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE.

If anyone is planning to use the evolve network I recommend having both the ea and ev connnect app set up and connected to a credit card.

We are heading to sugarbush on Wednesday morning. I am hopefully saving myself and others some headache.

Public service announcement- if you have an ev and you are going on a trip - run your planned route chargers through PlugShare - it gives you both an overall 1-10 scale and real time input.

For example we are going to stop in Saratoga and it looks like the middle two chargers are not working well. My backup plan is Gravensport (sp) 18 miles down the road and a second back up by schroon.

Yes, you still have to plan road trips in an ev. I submit is easier than the 1980s with a hagstrom when I was a non driving kid (but recognize that is not a reasonable standard)

How much juice does it take to operate the telematics system for EV’s (and gassers)?
Some companies are having issues with telematics systems draining charged batteries while the vehicle is turned “off”, (even in a gasser).

How much juice does it take to operate the telematics system for EV’s (and gassers)?
Some companies are having issues with telematics systems draining charged batteries while the vehicle is turned “off”, (even in a gasser).
I think extremely little.

The entire set of vampire drain at it worse in normal conditions is 1 or 2 percent a day; the data use provision I guess is a tiny fraction of that. But I don’t know.

I think extremely little.

The entire set of vampire drain at it worse in normal conditions is 1 or 2 percent a day; the data use provision I guess is a tiny fraction of that. But I don’t know.
Percent of what?

There’s send and receive energy used on both ends.
GPS satellites and cell towers both consume operational energy in addition to their launches & installations, respectively.

Percent of what?

There’s send and receive energy used on both ends.
GPS satellites and cell towers both consume operational energy in addition to their launches & installations, respectively.
Oh sorry. I meant if you do nothing with your ev you can lose one or two percent of battery (3-6 miles) at the ev end.

Oh sorry. I meant if you do nothing with your ev you can lose one or two percent of battery (3-6 miles) at the ev end.
So ya guess a couple kWh for the Rivian?

A 12V gasser battery with a funky telematics system drained to nothing is ~1.2kWh.
It loses much less now being “off” with the DCM (Device Communications Module) replaced.
For awhile the car companies couldn’t make new cars cause they run outta chips for in em...

So ya guess a couple kWh for the Rivian?

A 12V gasser battery with a funky telematics system drained to nothing is ~1.2kWh.
It loses much less now being “off” with the DCM (Device Communications Module) replaced.
My guess is all in including what you are referring to is yes, 1 or 2 kw. But I don’t really understand precisely what you are asking. I just know all energy loss is about as high as 1 or 2 kw. It is a 129kw usable battery so 1 pc is 1.29 kw. But that is all energy loss, which would include what you are referring to. It could be higher or lower.

But I don’t really understand precisely what you are asking... But that is all energy loss, which would include what you are referring to. It could be higher or lower.
There’s patents to minimize telematics energy consumption for vehicles.
The other half of the coin is the amount of energy used providing the wireless “services”.

We used to drive cars without chips in ‘em.

Before that folks walked, skied, used animal power, boats, bikes and/or trains.

Last edited:
For example we are going to stop in Saratoga and it looks like the middle two chargers are not working well. My backup plan is Gravensport (sp) 18 miles down the road and a second back up by schroon.
If you need another backup, the Tesla chargers in Saratoga have the magic docks.

I think I understand what TJ was saying about the evolve chargers. They have worked awesome for me under shell recharge, but it looks like (from PlugShare) that EVolveNY switched over to ev connect or electrify America (depending on location) WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE.

If anyone is planning to use the evolve network I recommend having both the ea and ev connnect app set up and connected to a credit card.

We are heading to sugarbush on Wednesday morning. I am hopefully saving myself and others some headache.

Public service announcement- if you have an ev and you are going on a trip - run your planned route chargers through PlugShare - it gives you both an overall 1-10 scale and real time input.

Yes, you still have to plan road trips in an ev. I submit is easier than the 1980s with a hagstrom when I was a non driving kid (but recognize that is not a reasonable standard)
Why not just use a CC. Apps. Just add another layer prone to failure. Are you heading up to Plattsburgh and taking the ferry across? It's longer than getting off in glens falls and heading across to Vermont.

Back