ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The summary of the article is that Toyota had large profits, driven by sales of hybrids. They have not bet on EVs and have spoken out in favor of hybrids.

The summary of the article is that Toyota had large profits, driven by sales of hybrids. They have not bet on EVs and have spoken out in favor of hybrids.
When my husband was at our Raleigh Toyota dealer recently getting our daughter's R4P serviced, he talked to a salesperson about RAV4 Prime availability. Apparently they have never had one to sell that hasn't been special ordered. He also asked about any changes for the 2023 R4P. Only change is that Apple CarPlay will be wireless.

We live about 10 minutes from a large mall (Southpoint in southern Durham, near Chapel Hill not Raleigh). There is a shopping center across the road with REI, Best Buy, etc. That's where a set of Tesla chargers is being installed. Not a typical set up since it's going into an existing parking lot. Includes a Handicapped access charger space.

IMG_7787.jpg

When my husband was at our Raleigh Toyota dealer recently getting our daughter's R4P serviced, he talked to a salesperson about RAV4 Prime availability. Apparently they have never had one to sell that hasn't been special ordered. He also asked about any changes for the 2023 R4P. Only change is that Apple CarPlay will be wireless.
There are very few primes made each year. Maybe 50,000 (so less than a Rivian).

Harv's Hybrid Hypothesis

Assumptions

1 - You are me
2 - You drive a four cylinder, ~2 liter engine

Conclusions

A hybrid will get you 40-45 mpg in any situation where a comparable gasser will get you 35.
A hybrid will get you 15 mpg in any situation where a comparable gasser will get you 20.*

*mountains, cold, heavy acceleration, basically anytime you are under a load.

I still don't know if it's right, but it might be.

Harv's Hybrid Hypothesis

Assumptions

1 - You are me
2 - You drive a four cylinder, ~2 liter engine

Conclusions

A hybrid will get you 40-45 mpg in any situation where a comparable gasser will get you 35.
A hybrid will get you 15 mpg in any situation where a comparable gasser will get you 20.*

*mountains, cold, heavy acceleration, basically anytime you are under a load.

I still don't know if it's right, but it might be.
It turns out I have corrollaries.

In a snow storm, the hybrid was pretty darn good. It feels like that extra weight is over the rear, I like that.

And because the driving was dicey, I was gentle on the throttle and measured 37 mpg when I filled up, in Warrensburg. Surprised me.

I put it in SNOW MODE, whatever that is, and stomped on it to scamper 900 feet up our road, in 4 inches of unplowed snow.

Back