ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

But what a deal for whoever gets them. If you are a commuter that drives 80-200 miles per day these would be a great buy. Hertz jumped before thinking. EV's only make sense for people that charge at home.
Someone that puts 25k miles oo their vehicle from commuting would lower their monthly fuel and maintenance bill by 70%. And never have to pump gas again.
That someone sounds familiar TJ . . . . : )

Yeah but I don't think I'm that close and here's why:
1. I have a 2014 CRV EXL AWD that has 100K miles and it's still in excellent condition so no reason to replace.
2. I hate spending money on cars and therefore don't crave to replace a vehicle.
3. My 2014 CRV is still worth like $12K on trade so it's held its value quite well.
4. I have very high expectations for the length of useable life of my vehicles with minimal maintenance costs.
5. We only drive both our CRV's about 10K/year each so we don't spend a fortune on gas.
6. A full EV has many issues that concern me including; range, charge time, battery degradation with each charge cycle, not being able to bring a can of gas roadside to fill up if you run out, longevity of the vehicle without spending much on maintenance and good resale value.
7. I really expect my vehicles to still be running great at 10 years old and I've not seen how EV's will fare.
8. A plug in Hybrid might be an option but honestly I need to see how reliable and maintenance free these things are after being driven for 5+ years.

I know I will probably look in the next year or 2 to replace my 2014 CRV, but for now I'm just going to sit on the sidelines and enjoy watching the EV/Plug-in Hybrid tech evolve. If I'm not convinced by the new tech then I'll be buying another ICE... probably another Honda SUV or maybe Subaru.
Legit. I came from a 2011 CRV (that Rivian gave me $11,000 for it with I think 140,000 miles).

I never craved a fancy car - I have posted many times about how the math worked out to about a mid-level trim Highlander - but I will say the thing is fun. I am sure hedonistic adaptation will kick in at some point, but it hasn't yet. haha.

When our second car (2014 Impreza hatchback with like 25,000 miles) needs to go or when my 12 year old is driving, whichever comes first, plan is to get a bolt or a kona. That car really won't need good range - it will be the split up because the kids have different activities car. Even those go 0-60 in about 6-7 seconds.

Also never had high expectations. The one way an EV spoiled me is that I hate the delay from throttle application to movement that non super car ICEs have. And I know this is nearly illegal but I don't like the noisy engines anymore.

No one is gonna rent an EV until they are over range anxiety and the charging infrastructure is completely built out. What was Hertz thinking?

mm
I think it is 'either/or', not 'and'. We didn't rent in CO because we have read so many bad things about Electrify America and that is what they have out there.

I freely admit that I don't think you get over range anxiety until you come back from a road trip with like 10% range, so it becomes a chicken-or-the-egg issue.

While I noted a handful of bad experiences with the EA, I have literally had one 'bad' experience with the EVolveNY chargers (Some of which are EA but not many) and that was handled by moving over to the next stall and plugging in.

Drove by our (small) local Ford dealer last week. They had 11 Lightning’s and 5 EV Mustangs on the lot. All still there today. Is Ford making dealers take these? I really doubt the dealer would have ordered them.

Any Mavericks? :geek:

Drove by our (small) local Ford dealer last week. They had 11 Lightning’s and 5 EV Mustangs on the lot. All still there today. Is Ford making dealers take these? I really doubt the dealer would have ordered them.
Probably? It could also be that the dealers put in for them a long time ago when they commanded a massive premium. . . .

Yes. The factory's are cramming EVs at dealers. Dealers don't want them as they can't give them away. I'm sure in some markets EVs are selling, but not in the NE.

But what a deal for whoever gets them. If you are a commuter that drives 80-200 miles per day these would be a great buy. Hertz jumped before thinking. EV's only make sense for people that charge at home.
Someone that puts 25k miles oo their vehicle from commuting would lower their monthly fuel and maintenance bill by 70%. And never have to pump gas again.
I guess so. As long as the battery holds up to the weather, and you don't get in an accident. Hertz is getting rid of them because they're too expensive to fix.

Back