ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

All good points.

One thing that keeps creeping up in my head is that automakers are losing money on every single EV they sell. That's bad math, and can not continue for much longer.

It's just to soon to be pushing the square peg thru a round hole.
Apropos losing money on every EV they sell. On a radio program, someone suggested that Tesla was in the carbon credit business rather than the car business.

Once the states started banning ICE by a certain date , ev's where dead in the water...We all know how well government mandates go...Except for a few niche vehicles , no one is buying them..
Great point about unintended consequences- no either way to make this a blue vs red than by having cali mandate this.

I still think this is a pendulum swing but like most people I am wrong a lot.

I can say I find ice vehicles generally annoying to use now personally. Haha.

Apropos losing money on every EV they sell. On a radio program, someone suggested that Tesla was in the carbon credit business rather than the car business.
True a few years ago for Tesla but I don’t think now. They actually have a higher gross margin than other auto makers which is why does and gm tried to present themselves as ev makers before the switch back.

The cyber truck will be generating losses for a few years, if big enough that will be true again.

Rivian sure loses a ton on the q h vehicle right now (but like Tesla their plan is to go profitable on the r2).

EVs are far from dead. The hype just got well ahead of the technology. The tech will continue to evolve and the shortcomings will be solved eventually. You'll know when the tech has caught up is when I buy one... Which is many years away 😁
Agree with this.

EVs are far from dead. The hype just got well ahead of the technology. The tech will continue to evolve and the shortcomings will be solved eventually. You'll know when the tech has caught up is when I buy one... Which is many years away 😁
They're dead. It's nothing new. They've flopped before and will again.

can say I find ice vehicles generally annoying to use now personally. Haha.
So at what stage would you pay a premium to rent an EV when traveling? ;)

Electric golf carts are much better than gas ones for users.
Don’t need no dang stinking carbon credit$ to sell em neither.

Back