ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

If EV owners factor in depreciation, they ain't cheap to operate.

That's the elephant in the room no one talks about.

What year and trim level is your car
19-Outback premium with blind spot monitor & moonroof options with the unoptional "free for awhile" friggin starlink.
The car is great but some of electronic BS is way overkill.
Bought my last 2 from the same dealer so we’ll see what happens.
Started fine when I drove it today.
But I don’t wanna babysit the battery by having to drive 20 minutes for no reason.
Might find and pull the DCM fuse before I take it in and then put it back in when I take it in for service.
Service said it wouldn’t void the extended warranty when I asked em.

Last edited:
So you don't need electricity anymore? ;)
I should be generating more than I use, which PSEG gets into the grid and distributes.

Kind of cool it makes everyone’s electric cleaner.

But I don’t know over time if I will generate excess because the rivian uses a lot of juice.

I should be generating more than I use, which PSEG gets into the grid and distributes.

But I don’t know over time if I will generate excess because the rivian uses a lot of juice.
We had solar panels added to the house roof and finally hooked up to the grid in late Summer 2022. With Duke Energy we get some sort of credit for excess production. During the warm, sunny months we get more than enough from the solar. At this point, my daughter is charging her RAV4 Prime PHEV every night on weeknight. Mine only gets charged 2-3 times a week when I'm home.

In general, my husband is happy with the investment. He got a great deal because the roof needed to be re-done (again) due to storm damage and insurance covered that. It was an integrated install so the solar panels were put on at the same time as the roof.

In NJ, the size of your system is limited to your historical annual electricity usage if you are hooked up to the grid. If they determine you need an 8 kilowatt system you cannot install a 10 kilowatt system.

In NJ, the size of your system is limited to your historical annual electricity usage if you are hooked up to the grid. If they determine you need an 8 kilowatt system you cannot install a 10 kilowatt system.
Same as Ny. I could get a bigger system because of the Rivian.

Back