ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That is a big call, give you that.

1. Pendulums swing. Look at the yoy growth in electric. We have already grown more since I started this chain than I thought we would in 10 years. My guess is the growth is exponential - admittedly easier to do with a low run rate.

2. In city I think you have to include sub urbs and metro areas. Someone here is probably a census type but that is likely more than the majority of the country by population.

3. I believe there is something like a Moore’s law effect on battery tech. Rivian - a less efficient vehicle - has seen close to 20 percent pickup in range by going to some duel motors - I think the quad 21 was 301 rated and now dual 21 is 349. You actually get those miles. My car on 20s gets 300 and in theory is rated at like 270. Driving normally.
All good points.

One thing that keeps creeping up in my head is that automakers are losing money on every single EV they sell. That's bad math, and can not continue for much longer.

It's just to soon to be pushing the square peg thru a round hole.

All good points.

One thing that keeps creeping up in my head is that automakers are losing money on every single EV they sell. That's bad math, and can not continue for much longer.

It's just to soon to be pushing the square peg thru a round hole.
GM basically just admitted this. They seem to be saying they are scrapping the new lines but will crank out bolts (which actually makes sense those are good and affordable evs )

I also have to say I have been unimpressed by traditional auto maker evs other than the bolt (you get a lot of value for the money for it tho it has its drawbacks).
Have you seen much about the smaller EVs that are being made for the European market?

Have you seen much about the smaller EVs that are being made for the European market?
A little. Those are awesome but the sad reality is they either make different versions for the US or no counterpart for the smallest ones.

Those are awesome but the sad reality is they either make different versions for the US or no counterpart for the smallest ones.
I could see “tiny" EVs selling well in Milan. Folks drove small (but nice) cars there due to parking and price of fuel. Ya couldn’t drive in the center city on Sundays sometimes if smog trapped by the Alps was around. No trucks other than commercial vehicles. The company we worked with had a free bus that went around and picked up their folks if they didn’t want to drive to work.

There is a Greek island that is essentially going full electric, with vehicles from VW and Citroen, along with e-bikes that tourists can rent. The Ami is really small.

September 2023

November 2021

Once the states started banning ICE by a certain date , ev's where dead in the water...We all know how well government mandates go...Except for a few niche vehicles , no one is buying them..

Once the states started banning ICE by a certain date , ev's where dead in the water...We all know how well government mandates go...Except for a few niche vehicles , no one is buying them..
EVs are far from dead. The hype just got well ahead of the technology. The tech will continue to evolve and the shortcomings will be solved eventually. You'll know when the tech has caught up is when I buy one... Which is many years away 😁

Last edited:
Back