ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

It is also u likely I will have excess over time because we plan to get a second ev say some point and at least now plan to be in this house for a good while.

I'm coming down on the side of batteries don't make sense in the mountains, where it is steep and cold. (In the suburbs or city IMO they are a no-brainer.)

Driving to Belle on Sunday the CRV barely eeked out 30 on the way up, I got 42 on the return. The difference is the elevation gain/loss. Hauling batteries up the mountain, it's just an ICE with one hand tied behind it's back. If you average the 42 and 30, I got 36, and I'll bet my old CRV would have gotten 32-34 on the same trip, driving a lot faster.

Also, it's colder now and it's getting hard to hit 40 mpg on the way to work. I was 42-45 over the summer. Every morning now when I start er up, the ICE runs right away. In summer I was driving half a mile on EV to start. It's got to be the cold.

The plan was always to sell the CRV after we move. Just that now I think it is going to be traded in for ICE pickup, probably not a hybrid.

What’s your max speed in EV? I think the Sienna is 15 MPH, so I may as well not have a pure EV mode at all.

What’s your max speed in EV? I think the Sienna is 15 MPH, so I may as well not have a pure EV mode at all.

Unlike the 2012 Prius where max EV speed was ~35, I've been in EV as fast as 70.

ETA: that is rare. A practical max is probably 45.

I'm coming down on the side of batteries don't make sense in the mountains, where it is steep and cold...
It's got to be the cold.
Been having issues with the battery keeping a charge in the Subaru once it got colder and golf season ended (not driving it as much).
Put a new battery in it in September. There’s most likely parasitic draw going on somewhere.
Even ICE cars have battery issues when it’s cold.

Solar install should be complete today, and then can be turned on in about 2 weeks after PSEG gives permission to operate. Relatively smooth so far.

In other news, the pendulum is swinging away from BEV. I mostly think it is a factor of interest rates. Not sure how much an unsubsidized car loan goes for these days, but GM is backing away from its EV platform and instead pushing the bolt (which I think is a good car).

This may be a factor, but I feel the biggest issue is people, unless you live in a city, don't believe in them. The hype is over, imho.
That is a big call, give you that.

1. Pendulums swing. Look at the yoy growth in electric. We have already grown more since I started this chain than I thought we would in 10 years. My guess is the growth is exponential - admittedly easier to do with a low run rate.

2. In city I think you have to include sub urbs and metro areas. Someone here is probably a census type but that is likely more than the majority of the country by population.

3. I believe there is something like a Moore’s law effect on battery tech. Rivian - a less efficient vehicle - has seen close to 20 percent pickup in range by going to some duel motors - I think the quad 21 was 301 rated and now dual 21 is 349. You actually get those miles. My car on 20s gets 300 and in theory is rated at like 270. Driving normally.

Back