ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Your welcome. Your closer then you think. I'm sure Jason is keeping his eye out. I'm not paying attention I really don't want to know. You can get some crazy deals on used right now... And they work. If you charge at your house and can get back to it every night you pocket s lot of money. 12k miles and I haven't even added windshield wiper fluid.
Yeah but I don't think I'm that close and here's why:
1. I have a 2014 CRV EXL AWD that has 100K miles and it's still in excellent condition so no reason to replace.
2. I hate spending money on cars and therefore don't crave to replace a vehicle.
3. My 2014 CRV is still worth like $12K on trade so it's held its value quite well.
4. I have very high expectations for the length of useable life of my vehicles with minimal maintenance costs.
5. We only drive both our CRV's about 10K/year each so we don't spend a fortune on gas.
6. A full EV has many issues that concern me including; range, charge time, battery degradation with each charge cycle, not being able to bring a can of gas roadside to fill up if you run out, longevity of the vehicle without spending much on maintenance and good resale value.
7. I really expect my vehicles to still be running great at 10 years old and I've not seen how EV's will fare.
8. A plug in Hybrid might be an option but honestly I need to see how reliable and maintenance free these things are after being driven for 5+ years.

I know I will probably look in the next year or 2 to replace my 2014 CRV, but for now I'm just going to sit on the sidelines and enjoy watching the EV/Plug-in Hybrid tech evolve. If I'm not convinced by the new tech then I'll be buying another ICE... probably another Honda SUV or maybe Subaru.

Hybrid reliability seems pretty solid over the last 10 years. It's an ice with a battery and an electric motor, the added parts are the most reliable in the vehicle.

I realize that's only reason #8

8. A plug in Hybrid might be an option but honestly I need to see how reliable and maintenance free these things are after being driven for 5+ years.
For what it's worth, the 2021 RAV4 Prime that was bought in November 2020 has over 40K miles and hasn't needed anything but the standard oil changes. It was my car until August 2022 when we got the 2022 RAV4 Prime (same NY dealer). Now my daughter drives it to work with a 30 mile round trip commute so she uses very little gas. The 2022 R4P has almost 25K miles.

5. We only drive both our CRV's about 10K/year each so we don't spend a fortune on gas.
Makes a bit difference that you don't drive that much.

I drove a 2007 minivan over 300,000 miles in about 12 years. I started lobbying for a new car after 200,000 miles. My husband's car doesn't have the same sort of miles but is about the same vintage. So we haven't spent that much money on new cars in the last 30 years. :)

From CNJ to Holiday Mountain today and back in the 2023 CRV Hybrid.

33 on the way, 40 mpg on the return.

So, my solar is getting installed on 11-27. Hope I track my stats but could be very interesting. Even with the Rivian I am projected to be somewhere between 83 and 100 percent produced by my solar.

Hopefully I post some numbers a year in.

So, my solar is getting installed on 11-27. Hope I track my stats but could be very interesting. Even with the Rivian I am projected to be somewhere between 83 and 100 percent produced by my solar.

Hopefully I post some numbers a year in.
Is there a battery involved or are you selling juice back to the grid?

Is there a battery involved or are you selling juice back to the grid?
I decided to get one battery really so that I will have power in an outage.

My utility (I think) moved to a system where selling back only gives me future credit, though I think there is a program that if I let them draw my battery in high usage events they pay cash for that.

I needed two batteries to be able to fast charge in an outage but decided not to do it because of the cash outlay. Next of tax incentives each battery is still pretty expensive. (Interestingly they went up by more than the increase in incentives because of demand).

I can still trickle charge in an outage.

Back