ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

This weekend I drove the CRV (2023 hybrid) a bunch of highway miles. I decide to drive it "normally" as I had a big weekend, I was going all out, and I just wanted to get it done. Round trip to the ADK, by way of the Plattekill work day.

Cruise set at 68, bursts up to 72-75, no pulse and glide or special attention to the pressure I was putting on the gas.

I have the CRV set to:

Trip A Lifetime
Trip B resets every time the ignition is shut off

I didn't figure the whole trip, but had segments of 35, 38 and 40. So figure I got 37 highway. Lifetime for the car is around 41.

My wife's Venza is at 44 lifetime.

This weekend I drove the CRV (2023 hybrid) a bunch of highway miles. I decide to drive it "normally" as I had a big weekend, I was going all out, and I just wanted to get it done. Round trip to the ADK, by way of the Plattekill work day.

Cruise set at 68, bursts up to 72-75, no pulse and glide or special attention to the pressure I was putting on the gas.

I have the CRV set to:

Trip A Lifetime

I didn't figure the whole trip, but had segments of 35, 38 and 40. So figure I got 37 highway. Lifetime for the car is around 41.

Is the venza bigger? Which has more get up and go?

Is the venza bigger? Which has more get up and go?
They are both similar sizes, with a hundred pounds or so. I think the Venza motor is bigger (2.5 liter vs 2 liter in the Honda).

I think the difference is the driving my wife does. The long highway drives, and driving in the mountain kill the mpg on the CRV. Plus, I find the longer the distance the more aggressively I drive.

If I never drove to the ADK I'd be getting 45 too. Her longest drive is an hour.

I've never pushed down hard on the accelerator in the Venza. But the Honda motor is much nicer, smooth and when you really press hard the response is much more dignified.

I have the CRV set to:

Trip A Lifetime

Hybrid and EV do worse on Hwy than town because neither can recapture energy from braking on the highway unless you are on a downhill.

Hybrid and EV do worse on Hwy than town because neither can recapture energy from braking on the highway unless you are on a downhill.

And with a hybrid you are hauling a big weight around, and not getting much out of it. In my CRV it seems like it only adds 2-3 mpg on the highway.

Toyota just recalled millions of cars because concerns of catching fire. No big deal.

Back