ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I did look into it too verify what I said. EV are more likely to catch fire then to blow up... And they catch fire less than ice vehicles so they appear to be very safe. I still don't charge in my garage.
It rides is better. The versatility exceeds tradition pick ups. The cost to run is just silly. I run more miles than most people. I have some planning to do on Tuesdays. Over all it extends my day by 40 minutes.
Two car families would benefit greatly if one were an ev.
When you need to do go long distances slum it in the gasser.
Right now you can't pick off a used Tesla's for a song. Get a federal credit and get into a technology far superior car then any gassers.
All true.

My buddy is a two car family, his is a prius pluggin. He has an 8 mile drive to work, he fills it with gas 2x / year. If you have two cars, and drivers can be flexible anything is possible.

It seems on pure highway, if you drive aggressively, you'll be lucky to get +2mpg from a CRV hybrid vs the gasser. In the burbs the hybrid gets 42 easy, 45 if I try. Sometimes I get close to 50, but not enough to move my average above 42.

The CRV gasser motor (1.6 turbo) was without a doubt the best motor in any car I have ever owned. The thing could accelerate on the highway (65>80) and I could get 38 mpg in the burbs, much of my driving. Highway was less, maybe 35 or 32 if I am pushing it. Granted I was almost always alone, which certainly helps MPG, especially in the mtns.

Last edited:
:unsure:

I did look into it too verify what I said. EV are more likely to catch fire then to blow up... And they catch fire less than ice vehicles so they appear to be very safe. I still don't charge in my garage.
It rides is better. The versatility exceeds tradition pick ups. The cost to run is just silly. I run more miles than most people. I have some planning to do on Tuesdays. Over all it extends my day by 40 minutes.
Two car families would benefit greatly if one were an ev.
When you need to do go long distances slum it in the gasser.
Right now you can't pick off a used Tesla's for a song. Get a federal credit and get into a technology far superior car then any gassers.
I think we should agree an ev is less likely to ignite than an ICE but when it does it is a much greater magnitude due to chemistry (the ev fires are very hard to put out).

I have perfect confidence in my car that way but i would not have bought the bolts from the year of the recall.

harv you might find this interesting

So I was curious and had to look it up myself. The US doesn't seem to track fire rates but Sweden does.

With an average of 16 EV and hybrid fires per year, there's a 1 in 38,000 chance of fire. There are a total of roughly 4.4 million gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles in Sweden, with an average of 3,384 fires per year, for a 1 in 1,300 chance of fire. That means gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles are 29 times more likely to catch fire than EVs and hybrids.

A PSA for everyone. I was a volunteer fireman for 10 years, decades before EVs. I responded to car fires many times. Sometimes the cars started on fire in garages and people were inside unaware of a raging fire that would eventually consume their home. Therefore I recommend everyone install a smoke detector in your garage.

Back