ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Dang batteries not tied down.
I pay attention. This recall is for batteries catching fire that can vibrate loose. Batteries, regular old car batteries. Wait until ev batteries start vibrating loose!
Probably no worse and maybe lower rates. EV batteries are installed much more securely.

Sweden tracks car fire data and between 2018-2022 with data normalized for the number of cars by type, gas and diesel-powered passenger vehicles are 29 times more likely to catch fire than EVs and hybrids.

gas and diesel-powered passenger vehicles are 29 times more likely to catch fire than EVs and hybrids.
So is it the gas or the battery that causes most fires?

Would think that hybrids, with BOTH would catch fire the most?

I would think it’s too soon to make meaningful comparisons. The EV fleet is still tiny, relatively new and relatively high end. The story was that EV fires are hard to put out. Excitable members of the public turned it into “they’re bursting into flames.”

So is it the gas or the battery that causes most fires?

Would think that hybrids, with BOTH would catch fire the most?
So according to the article, from the nfpa that mechanical failure and malfunction is the leading cause of car fires in the US with electrical being a distant second. But unfortunately they don't specifically track EV/hybrid fires which is why Mototrend used the data from Sweden.

My recollection when I was a volunteer fireman decades ago is that most car fires we responded to were on the road rather than parked.

Tesla has made the battery part of the structure of the car. This is one of the reasons why Tesla's battery swap idea was nonsense.

Back