ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That's pretty amazing parity with Dom.

This such a great and informative thread. I appreciate folks sharing their personal experiences with EVs, Hybrids, Plug-in hybrids.

I love learning about this area as it rapidly evolves, but I'm definitely not an early adopter. I'll stick with my 2014 AWD Crv for as long as possible --it's in great condition and still has a lot of return left in it. Same with my 19 Crv.

I personally won't be a non-fossil all EV buyer until the range, charge time, charging station availability all drastically improve and alternative battery technology is available. Thinking solid state batteries might get us there but those are years away so I'm going to be patient.

A couple areas I'm still hung up on on any type of EV. Vehicle reliability, lifespan and resale value. Never something I worry about as a Honda buyer. I have high expectations. Another area I'm still hung up on is emergencies and being able to gas up roadside with a can of gas anywhere. With that said a plug-in hybrid checks many of the boxes if I had to buy something today, but hopefully my 2 crvs last for many more years.

Last edited:
So if the long run is X00,000 you come out "ok." What is X? How much more did the Riv cost versus a comparable ICE rig?

(I'm not discounting the fun you guys are having, just putting it aside for a minute.)

So if the long run is X00,000 you come out "ok." What is X? How much more did the Riv cost versus a comparable ICE rig?

(I'm not discounting the fun you guys are having, just putting it aside for a minute.)
40k more. I'm hoping in 5 years I'm break even with a pick up truck vs sedan. If I were going from a loaded One ton to this I would break even in probably 2 years

Never a better time to be an Electrician or Outside Lineman.
My former Employer of 27 years was getting me a brand new work truck , a Ford Lightning, right before I left. Makes sense since , being Electrical Contractor , charging on job site , would have been easy.
Now I drive my 2009 CRV with 200000 plus miles on it to work. No signs of it letting up..I however no longer drive it to Gore, only the Cats for skiing.
Anyone on here, saying they have no way of home charging. Unless you live in an Apartment house or Condo, just call an Electrician!

Back