ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

just read GM is delaying the Silvarado EV until 2026....I guess they see Ford's Lightning dying on the vine..
I always viewed that as so called vapor ware. I think Their video that someone posted here shows them taking the best features of all these vehicles and adding them in. When you see that you know it is never going to be made. For instance they took the gear tunnel and made it run front back for things like surfboards or long wood.

For a good period of time for a truck or suv it will be lightening and rivian. Last time I checked there were like 66 production hummers.

Economic challenges make it harder too. At lease when on paper the economy was strong the makers could justify pushing ahead in the face of inflation.

Tangent: this month I am going to try to tally my fuel cost over 10,000 miles. My total maintenance/driving cost is that plus 1/2 container of wiper fluid and some tolls but I am not going to try to figure out the tolls.

I believe I have all the cost info in my chargepoint app (home), shell recharge and EA apps.

I cancelled my EA subscription after they hiked the price. It made sense in the winter when charging once very three months got enough discount to cover the sub fee.

I can still use on demand but will pay more.

I will probably hit the 10k mikes mark 9 mos in this weekend driving a bunch of Boy Scouts to a rainy camping trip. I actually can’t wait.

Approximate cost per mile summary

-Summary: In about 10,000 miles, with a mix of home charging and high speed charting, my cost per mile of 'fuel' is about 56% of the average ICE cost per mile.

Cost of 10.02 cents per mile for 'fuel' vs. ICE cost of 17.99 cents per mile for gas. This is based on actual cost and $4.09 per gallon gas according to a search; though it looks like average price of gas today in NY is $3.89. Cost would have been lower if I had not done as much high speed charging.

Detail

Odometer: 9,836 miles;
Approximate cost to charge: $985.58
-Home and handful of Chargepoint slow charges): $566 (Chargepoint app)
-Highspeed Shell Recharge sessions: $366.88
-Highspeed EA sessions: $52.70

Notes:
0-If you compare the Rivian to an AWD Durango, the savings are even better. The google machine says an awd 2021 durango costs $6.49 for 25 miles, or 25.96 cents per mile [fueleconomy.gov]. (649 cents divided by 25). The Rivian's fuel cost is 38% of the cost of a Durango's fuel. (For the record, I still think that is a ridiculously generous comparison by the Rivian given its storage and size).
1-I did not specifically tally energy total, but home was 57% of cost. If I had to guess, I would say home is 75-85% of actual mileage;
This supports the conclusion that home charging is much cheaper than high speed charging. To get a sense of how little I need to high speed charge on Long Island, I can only recall two high speed charges on Long Island: one in September when we were coming back from Montauk when we were stopping for lunch in Riverhead. I probably didn't need to charge, but I wanted to try that charger to see how it was.
2-I took cost of gas cars per mile from a few google search. Since I am comparing a big, inefficient SUV (compared to say most teslas) to a general price for ICE, this probably understates the savings.
3- This is not conservative driving. Most of it is in 'sport' or 'All purpose', both of which are 4wd, with too many 'launches' too count. If anyone is in the car for the first time and they want a launch, I do it. The only time i have been in conserve mode are are few of the ski trips when I was trying to figure out if I would make it to chargers in real world driving.

just read GM is delaying the Silvarado EV until 2026....I guess they see Ford's Lightning dying on the vine..
I heard that it’s financially beneficial for companies to limit production of some of their fancy, new-technology, stuff because they can put people on waiting lists & try to sell them some of their other crap (Rangers & F-150s) while they’ve got them at the dealership.

I heard that it’s financially beneficial for companies to limit production of some of their fancy, new-technology, stuff because they can put people on waiting lists & try to sell them some of their other crap (Rangers & F-150s) while they’ve got them at the dealership.
Only the impatient ones. Lol.
Jay Bird had been back handing ev this entire thread. He knows they are the future. Not certain why he is shits on them every chance he gets... Lol well I do but lol

Approximate cost per mile summary

-Summary: In about 10,000 miles, with a mix of home charging and high speed charting, my cost per mile of 'fuel' is about 56% of the average ICE cost per mile.

Cost of 10.02 cents per mile for 'fuel' vs. ICE cost of 17.99 cents per mile for gas. This is based on actual cost and $4.09 per gallon gas according to a search; though it looks like average price of gas today in NY is $3.89. Cost would have been lower if I had not done as much high speed charging.

Detail

Odometer: 9,836 miles;
Approximate cost to charge: $985.58
-Home and handful of Chargepoint slow charges): $566 (Chargepoint app)
-Highspeed Shell Recharge sessions: $366.88
-Highspeed EA sessions: $52.70

Notes:
0-If you compare the Rivian to an AWD Durango, the savings are even better. The google machine says an awd 2021 durango costs $6.49 for 25 miles, or 25.96 cents per mile [fueleconomy.gov]. (649 cents divided by 25). The Rivian's fuel cost is 38% of the cost of a Durango's fuel. (For the record, I still think that is a ridiculously generous comparison by the Rivian given its storage and size).
1-I did not specifically tally energy total, but home was 57% of cost. If I had to guess, I would say home is 75-85% of actual mileage;
This supports the conclusion that home charging is much cheaper than high speed charging. To get a sense of how little I need to high speed charge on Long Island, I can only recall two high speed charges on Long Island: one in September when we were coming back from Montauk when we were stopping for lunch in Riverhead. I probably didn't need to charge, but I wanted to try that charger to see how it was.
2-I took cost of gas cars per mile from a few google search. Since I am comparing a big, inefficient SUV (compared to say most teslas) to a general price for ICE, this probably understates the savings.
3- This is not conservative driving. Most of it is in 'sport' or 'All purpose', both of which are 4wd, with too many 'launches' too count. If anyone is in the car for the first time and they want a launch, I do it. The only time i have been in conserve mode are are few of the ski trips when I was trying to figure out if I would make it to chargers in real world driving.
Nice work!! I do the math pretty much when I'm driving. Our conclusion are similar.

Accurate to say you are saving roughly 1000 per 10,000 on energy?

Back