ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I always wondered why hydrogen fuel tech was not being advanced. Apparently it is just a bit behind battery electric. From this video I learned that both fuel cell and battery cars are electric, something I didn't realize previously. And it seems both will be the future of transportation in the world. It was also interesting the advancement of fuel cell tech for heavy trucking.

I always wondered why hydrogen fuel tech was not being advanced. Apparently it is just a bit behind battery electric. From this video I learned that both fuel cell and battery cars are electric, something I didn't realize previously. And it seems both will be the future of transportation in the world. It was also interesting the advancement of fuel cell tech for heavy trucking.

I sell equipment related to hydrogen fuel cells. I really believe that fuel cells will eventually overtake batteries. Batteries are heavy and hurt mileage along with all the environmental stuff involved in making and disposing of batteries.
Batteries are the current leader because everyone has a plug in their house. The hydrogen infrastructure is not readily available for most areas. But then there wasn't a gas station on every corner when the Model T was introduced either.
Trucking and fleets is where it will start. Where the vehicles come back to a central terminal every night. These companies have their own fuel stations now. They can put in dedicated hydrogen fueling.
I won't go into more detail but all of the major oil and chemical companies are investing in hydrogen technology. I was at a symposium related to the oil and gas industry earlier this month. There is a whole schedule of topics. Most of the rooms are about 1/2 to 3/4 full. The symposium on hydrogen was standing room only and out the door.
One of the leaders in fuel cell technology is in New York state. Plug Power

I sell equipment related to hydrogen fuel cells. I really believe that fuel cells will eventually overtake batteries. Batteries are heavy and hurt mileage along with all the environmental stuff involved in making and disposing of batteries.
Batteries are the current leader because everyone has a plug in their house. The hydrogen infrastructure is not readily available for most areas. But then there wasn't a gas station on every corner when the Model T was introduced either.
Trucking and fleets is where it will start. Where the vehicles come back to a central terminal every night. These companies have their own fuel stations now. They can put in dedicated hydrogen fueling.
I won't go into more detail but all of the major oil and chemical companies are investing in hydrogen technology. I was at a symposium related to the oil and gas industry earlier this month. There is a whole schedule of topics. Most of the rooms are about 1/2 to 3/4 full. The symposium on hydrogen was standing room only and out the door.
Very cool stuff

I look forward to your updates!

Unless you drive less than 40-50 on any given day you need to install a 240v charging port. That can cost anywhere from $500 to $1500! If you rent or live in an apartment that ain't gonna happen. But, if you own your home and can afford the installation then it's not a bad way to go.

As far as infrastructure goes, I don't see why filling stations now couldn't replace the gasoline pumps with hydrogen pumps.

I thought hydrogen was a fuel that took a fair amount of energy to produce. Is it an economically viable option?

I thought hydrogen was a fuel that took a fair amount of energy to produce. Is it an economically viable option?
I don't know much about it but I think for commercial trucks it is more practical than battery. Tesla 'introduced' their semi years ago and I am not sure they are even out there commercially.

Even my car has a massive battery to get the 300 miles of range (tho the tech keeps improving - a jump from 135kw to 145 kw gets epa range of 390 with dual motor that are just coming out now from Rivian).

In the video I posted this chart was used. BEV is Battery Electric Vehicle and FCEV is Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle.

IMG_3894.jpeg

Back