ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Obviously it's hot in NC in the summer, which means from mid-May to late September. Vaguely remember hearing long ago that running the A/C would decrease gas mileage a bit. My impression was that meant no more than 2 mpg. Needless to say, never considered NOT running the A/C.

Have noticed that when it's over 90 degrees and I've taken the RAV4 Prime out, the next overnight charge doesn't get quite a high as when the daytime high is in the 70s. The difference is 1-2 EV miles. Only started tracking temperature this spring. I track charging sessions. What's different in 2023 is that I haven't reset the EV and HV averages since January. EV stabilized at 2.9 m/Kw after a couple months that included a few short (under 300 miles one-way) trips but mostly driving around home.

Question about EVs, hybrids and batteries.

We all know performance drops in the cold. Does it also drop at the other extreme, in high levels of heat?

Both my wife and I think we are seeing it.

So far it looks like the Venza is beating the CRV for mpg. It seems the Venza is better on the highway. She drives a bit more highway than me and is beating me by about 5mpg.
Similar to TJ I would say. In the cold I could get 93 percent efficiency but being normal (using heat when I wanted) it was 80 percent.

In summer I am seeing a hit but that is due to rooftop tent so worse at speeds. Say 0-25 percent.

I'm getting 40-45 mpg with the CRV, around town, in temps below maybe 80 or 85. I'm getting less than 40 mpg at 95 degrees.

One thing is that the outside temp doesn't necessarily correlate to the temp of the battery. Like having a garage would help, I assume.

I found this EV battery evolution time line from Toyota very interesting. Came from this article. If it holds up the auto world could change very quickly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919-083433.png
    Screenshot_20230919-083433.png
    515.9 KB · Views: 48
I've been seeing the Toyota battery talk. It seems designed to leave wiggle room.

I hope it is true. But it still doesn't address the mineral mining issues.

I suppose mining in the US could help, to some extent.

Back