ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Probably can. I'm working on other things. I want the truck
sounds like you are well within the NYS lemon law qualifications...you don't want this truck.... :cool: ;)

Last edited:
See that's the great thing about America. TJ gets to decide what he wants!

A friend who worked in the UK for several years reported seeing, among other things, a hybrid Peugeot, diesel + electric, that got 60+ mpg. I could go for something like that.
In general, cars in the UK and Europe are a lot smaller than the average family car in the USA. Plus gas is a lot more expensive in Europe.

Looks like the average price for a U.S. gallon of gas in Europe is US$6 to US$9.

About $8.40 in Norway. Fair to say that EVs are very popular in Norway. Back in 2019 Norway was working on wireless EV charging for taxis in Oslo.

March 2019

We'd probably own an HRV if there was a hybrid. I read somewhere that Honda thought the styling on the HRV wasn't upmarket enough and with the added cost of hybrid it wouldn't sell. I guess it doesn't have a ridiculous ugly grill.
I was following the HRV early on. It is called a Vezel in some foreign markets, completely different exterior (better, IMO, I think it got a pano as a Vezel as well... with the Fit style magic seats, plus the hybrid).

Previous gen HRV got better fuel economy (not by much, though) but looks worse inside and out. Auto journalists are piling on about the new HRV engine... crap fuel economy and a crap engine. Honda has a great interior look and design now, though.

Too bad about the HRV. I really like Honda. Really reliable and no extra maintenance costs. But no way was I buying either a HRV or CRV. Would have loved a 4-cylinder hybrid AWD CrossTour style car. Not sure if it is supply or demand keeping those types of products from market. Manufacturers will say it is lack of demand. Toyota has gone with the CrossTour route with the Crown, it is a bit fugly (and expensive), though.

Honda doesn't think a hybrid HRV would sell, lol. They should call Toyota and ask them how they are selling Corolla Cross hybrids over MSRP with market adjustments before cars even hit the lots (plus, with lots of port added accessories). Those things are going for $40k fully loaded and the interior looks trash. Might as well just get a RAV4 (or better yet, something else entirely).

CX-30 has less space and no hybrid, but you can get a nicely equipped one for less than $30k... you'll never make $10k up in gas ICE vs hybrid. I gave up on fuel economy, the market forces on prices do not justify the cost savings (this coming from someone that has tracked every tank of fuel for a dozen years now, so I consider it important).

Great input as always. FWIW the Toyota dealers around here just dropped the markup beyond MSRP.

My wife wants a Toyota Corolla Cross hybrid awd. I'm not really a fan but I haven't driven one. I tried to convince her to get a prius (not that you can find one).

@riverc0il what do you recommend?

like i have mentioned before.. we have 2 cx5 2019 and 2021. Both cost under 30k. mixed driving we get 29 mpg. In my opinion it's the nicest suv in that class on the market. The interior soooo much nicer then toyota or honda...

like i have mentioned before.. we have 2 cx5 2019 and 2021. Both cost under 30k. mixed driving we get 29 mpg. In my opinion it's the nicest suv in that class on the market. The interior soooo much nicer then toyota or honda...

I just learned about a "mild hybrid."

Honestly I'd pay more for the Corolla Cross if it had a better engine and a nicer interior.

The thing that has me addicted to Honda is the sweetness of the engines.

Never driven the HRV but heard the engine is not in the same league with a CRV.

My recommendation, don't total your car. I wish I had my 2017 CRV back.

My wife wants a Toyota Corolla Cross hybrid awd. I'm not really a fan but I haven't driven one. I tried to convince her to get a prius (not that you can find one).

@riverc0il what do you recommend?
Wait two years or get something else, unless she wants to pay over MSRP for worse value. Same issue with the Prius, but it looks to be a better value with a nicer interior and more options for almost the same price. Unless you need the ground clearance, I would go Prius (after waiting two years).

Mild hybrids don't do much for gas mileage. Mainly, it is a way for luxury brands to say they are 100% electrified. Depends on the brand/model, but I have seen mild hybrids only improve 1 MPG at most between model years. They mainly help with off the line starts, more power boost than gas savings.

Yea, it is not even close. I got a CX-50, the interior is very nice and exterior looks are sharp. Before buying, I also test drove a CX-30 and Subaru Crosstrek back to back (top trim Crosstrek vs. mid-trim CX-30). Crosstrek felt like a total joke, Subaru is still in the 2010s while Mazda is delivering top quality product at bargain prices... especially trims 1 or 2 up from the base (most of their models have 6-8 trims, but no options). My mid-trim CX-50 costed less than a fully loaded Crosstrek (despite being a size class up) and feels amazing compared to Subaru's pedestrian build.

Back