ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

2023 CRV Hybrid.

This morning's six mile drive to work:

View attachment 20839

It's a good short trip for mileage. My route includes 2 miles of 25 mph (maybe 75% EV), two miles of stop and go (traffic lights) with 40 mph speed limit (~30% EV). Then 45 mph for another two miles (~30% EV), and then 25 mph for the last half mile (100% EV). That's the fastest way to go. The thing is when you are stopped you aren't using gas, and when you are going slow, it's often all EV. The ugly side is that this car gets crappy mileage as an ICE. Way worse then my 2017.

Unfortunately my "lifetime" measurement was on Trip A, and it was reset at the last oil change.

It was at 40mpg. Here it is 920 miles since that change, still at 40:

View attachment 20840
Great info on the 23 crv hybrid.

We're quite Honda nerdish in our house. We have a 2014 Crv and a 2019 Crv that replaced my 16 Accord. We tried hard not to own 2 crvs at the same time but after test driving and lots of analysis we still liked the crv best, though the Forester was close.

Anyway when we owned the Accord it was my daily car and I loved it and my wife drove the 14crv. I could get like 38 highway mpg with the Accord. When we replaced the Accord with the 19crv the 14 crv became mine. I always figured that some day I'd get another Accord or awd sedan of some type. Anyway it took me about 2 weeks to fall for the CRV. I'm still driving that same 14 crv today and I love it.

Eventually when I replace the 2014 crv (though it's still in excellent condition) I strongly will consider a plug in hybrid. Hopefully in the next couple of years Honda will bring the plug in hybrid crv to the USA.

Eventually when I replace the 2014 crv (though it's still in excellent condition) I strongly will consider a plug in hybrid. Hopefully in the next couple of years Honda will bring the plug in hybrid crv to the USA.

It is flabbergasting how many hybrids and PHEVs that manufacturers produce but don't make available in the N.A. market. In some cases, new remodels with hybrid and PHEVs worldwide have lower fuel economy ICE versions than the previous ICE model (MY23-24 examples include the HRV and Kona/Seltos, I am sure there are more).

We not only don't get the electrified versions, but ICE fuel efficiency sometimes decreases as engines get more powerful, the vehicle gets larger, and features are added.

No. I'm on Vaca in Canada. Called for an update today. Told me they got the wrong battery. And to speak with someone with more juice. Have a message but didn't listen to it yet.
can't you tell them to keep and ask for your money back?

It is flabbergasting how many hybrids and PHEVs that manufacturers produce but don't make available in the N.A. market. In some cases, new remodels with hybrid and PHEVs worldwide have lower fuel economy ICE versions than the previous ICE model (MY23-24 examples include the HRV and Kona/Seltos, I am sure there are more).

We not only don't get the electrified versions, but ICE fuel efficiency sometimes decreases as engines get more powerful, the vehicle gets larger, and features are added.

We'd probably own an HRV if there was a hybrid. I read somewhere that Honda thought the styling on the HRV wasn't upmarket enough and with the added cost of hybrid it wouldn't sell. I guess it doesn't have a ridiculous ugly grill.

A friend who worked in the UK for several years reported seeing, among other things, a hybrid Peugeot, diesel + electric, that got 60+ mpg. I could go for something like that.

Back