ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Shit! Did they give you a loaner?

What happened?
Yeah I have a car. There are 7776 cells in the battery that are all wired together. One of the connections is the problem... As I understand it. It's easier to replace the entire pack and put a new one in. They will trouble shoot it and fix it back in Illinois I think.
Had to reboot the truck 6 times,3 in one day to get it out itf safe mode. Scheduled a flat bed to come get it and I drove it for three days before they got here and never got the error again.
It must have happened to them down in Boston. Monday they called and said it's ready they were going to bring it back. I was getting the skinny on the phone with the guy and he stopped while he was looking at things and said they had to take another look at it. Three days later I got a call and they said they probably have to replace it. Last night my truck showed 161 miles left in it. This morning it showed 24. Looks like they are draining the battery to replace it.
When my app goes dark I'll know they pulled the battery.
Not upset. It's nice talking to people on the phone who you can understand what they are saying. I do miss the truck. I'm driving a little shit box. The 30 days is ticking and I'm sure they know it.

Yeah I have a car. There are 7776 cells in the battery that are all wired together. One of the connections is the problem... As I understand it. It's easier to replace the entire pack and put a new one in. They will trouble shoot it and fix it back in Illinois I think.
Had to reboot the truck 6 times,3 in one day to get it out itf safe mode. Scheduled a flat bed to come get it and I drove it for three days before they got here and never got the error again.
It must have happened to them down in Boston. Monday they called and said it's ready they were going to bring it back. I was getting the skinny on the phone with the guy and he stopped while he was looking at things and said they had to take another look at it. Three days later I got a call and they said they probably have to replace it. Last night my truck showed 161 miles left in it. This morning it showed 24. Looks like they are draining the battery to replace it.
When my app goes dark I'll know they pulled the battery.
Not upset. It's nice talking to people on the phone who you can understand what they are saying. I do miss the truck. I'm driving a little shit box. The 30 days is ticking and I'm sure they know it.
Right as I finished this reply Rivian was calling. Pretty much confirmed the above. Gotta get a new battery. They were borrowing a parts guy from Florida, theirs is on vacation. He left to go home earlier. Vacation guy back Monday. Will hear from them Tuesday I think letting me know when they will have it. 6 hour job.

Last edited:
It won't be long be4 charging an EV will cost the same, if not more than an ICE.
A friend’s kid works for Polestar in Sweden and NYC.
They gave him one to use here.
The dad gets to drive it when he goes overseas to work at HQ.
Said his electric meter spins well when that beauty is charging.
It’s nice car and goes fast.

Power assisted trailer . Pretty cool concept, I like the idea of a solar array.

Right as I finished this reply Rivian was calling. Pretty much confirmed the above. Gotta get a new battery. They were borrowing a parts guy from Florida, theirs is on vacation. He left to go home earlier. Vacation guy back Monday. Will hear from them Tuesday I think letting me know when they will have it. 6 hour job.
At least they're replacing the battery instead of repairing it. I would've encouraged you to demand that in the event they said they could repair it.

Again, imo, you're a good test of this technology due to the miles you drive. Keep us posted on your adventure.

"Used electric vehicle prices are in a free-fall, dropping 15.7 percent since January and by an increasing amount every month so far in 2023,” said Brauer. “With Tesla cutting prices on new models its used EV values have tumbled. And because Tesla makes up the bulk of the used EV market the dramatic drop in Tesla values has impacted the entire category.”

"Used electric vehicle prices are in a free-fall, dropping 15.7 percent since January and by an increasing amount every month so far in 2023,” said Brauer. “With Tesla cutting prices on new models its used EV values have tumbled. And because Tesla makes up the bulk of the used EV market the dramatic drop in Tesla values has impacted the entire category.”

This is a situation where the overall "average" is not a particularly useful statistic to consider. The article includes a table for the 50 largest cities as well as a couple tables by brand/model. Those tell more of the story.

". . .

Used Cars With the Biggest Price Drops

The top models with the largest price drops include six hybrid and electric vehicles, led by Tesla’s models. “Tesla occupies three of the top four slots in used car price drops, with Nissan’s LEAF rounding out the top four and confirming the market’s shift away from older, high-volume electric vehicles,” said Brauer. “With so many newer EVs entering the market over the past two years cars like the Model 3, X, S, and LEAF are looking less competitive and less compelling.”

“We also see multiple Land Rovers and a Jaguar in this list, two brands that often struggle with resale value, especially when the market turns and used cars overall aren’t seeing the same demand they experienced for the past 3 years,” said Brauer.

. . .

Used Cars With the Biggest Price Gains

Despite the market’s overall pricing trend, not all used cars are dropping in value. Several premium models, along with the Chevrolet Suburban and Nissan Frontier, have gone up in value from June of 2022, confirming ongoing demand for performance models, SUVs, and trucks.
. . .
"

2023 CRV
10,800 miles
40 lifetime mpg

If you drive mostly highway miles, and want a CRV, buy the cheapest model, the gasser with 1.5 liter turbo. Lower initial cost and comparable mpg.

2023 CRV
10,800 miles
40 lifetime mpg

If you drive mostly highway miles, and want a CRV, buy the cheapest model, the gasser with 1.5 liter turbo. Lower initial cost and comparable mpg.
I've got a 19 crv exl 1.5L turbo and have never gotten anything remotely like that highway driving. And according to Google the mpg specs are the same between the 19 and 23. What kind of magic are you working to get that kind of mpg?

Back