ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

My sister made out pretty good with diesel gate. She bought one used when it was being exposed. Drive if into the ground and got more that she paid for it when she traded it in
Unfortunately, the dieselgate fix never took on my car..... the entire emissions system was replaced 3 times under warranty. Dealer said it was the most troublesome vehicle they'd seen. A shame, because it ran like a champ.

The VW ID.4 has gone over the 10K per year mark for 2023. (10K is my personal interest number, doesn't really mean anything.). I've seen a few around the NC Triangle. Production in TN started about a year ago.

July 6, 2023
" . . .
In terms of all-electric car sales, the German brand is consistently improving its results thanks to the local production of the ID.4 at the Chattanooga, Tennessee plant.

In Q2, 6,690 Volkswagen ID.4 were sold in the US, which is 303 percent more than a year ago (from a low base, related to limited vehicle supply), and 8.7 percent of the total volume.

. . ."

The VW ID.4 has gone over the 10K per year mark for 2023. (10K is my personal interest number, doesn't really mean anything.). I've seen a few around the NC Triangle. Production in TN started about a year ago.

July 6, 2023
" . . .
In terms of all-electric car sales, the German brand is consistently improving its results thanks to the local production of the ID.4 at the Chattanooga, Tennessee plant.

In Q2, 6,690 Volkswagen ID.4 were sold in the US, which is 303 percent more than a year ago (from a low base, related to limited vehicle supply), and 8.7 percent of the total volume.

. . ."
They were supposed to be good cars. I have heard some complaints around software in the early days.

This type of car (crv class ish) is really where ev makers will win consumers if the pricing gets more competitive.

Though some are already insanely competivkey priced - the bolt suv if you gets all the subsidies is like 25 k nicely equipped though probably smaller than a crv. That will be our next car in 7 years when the Subie is 16 years old.

Tesla is in production of the new model 3 and a new model y will follow.
Lots of changes

Tesla is in production of the new model 3 and a new model y will follow.
Lots of changes
Meanwhile, the latest news seems to be about how much Tesla has been over stating the maximum range in marketing materials and even in dash displays on older models. There is a court case in California so there are articles all over about the allegations.

July 27, 2023

It won't be long be4 charging an EV will cost the same, if not more than an ICE.
Maybe, or not.

The whole switch to EVs only makes sense if you redesign the electric system and take the carbon out of it. If you use intermittent renewables, you’re gonna need massive amounts of energy storage to absorb overgeneration. EVs can provide some of that, they can arbitrage the difference between peak energy prices and cheap off-peak prices, and they can provide instantaneous load matching (regulation) which is a service that doesn't harm batteries and is already being paid for at the wholesale level. None of that may work (IMO it won't work with much more nuclear power), but if it does there will always be cheap off-peak energy for EVs and opportunities to make money from their batteries. It's gonna cost a boatload of money, but if you believe atmospheric CO2 is an existential threat to civilization, then that's the price.

FWIW I've heard that one or both of the big Canadian utilities is charging EVs off-peak for 2.6 centsCDN/kw, which IIRC is the same price for exports to the NY system.

mm

Last edited:
Back