ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

People will buy ev when it is right for them. When you can plug into your house when you get home from work it makes it a lot more palatable. If you drive 5k per year you can drive a Sherman tank and it's not going to make much of a difference. People who put 30k or less per year in their car could switch over right now and range would hardly ever be a factor.
I bet

24% of new vehicle registrations in China (right now) are electric vehicles. Is that “real” enough for you?

Doesn’t take too much imagination to see that number increasing to 75-80% relatively quickly (and expanding to other countries)
And I think 6 % new sales in the US last year. To me that is astoundingly high. A few years ago I thought we would be at 10% end of decade. Now, who knows. 40%? 50?

New roof tomorrow. Solar signed up but hopefully in this year.

Darned insurance company said my roof only had five years less and would not renew unless I got a new one. Never heard of that before. And my roof is like 15 years old . . . . Spent a quantum of time fighting and just decided if solar is going to be up why fight that hard.

Reactions: MC2
There are a lot of problems still to be solved. Even in a city setting, there are big challenges. A lot of people in NYC park their cars on the street and move them for street sweepers, occasional errands and getting out on weekends. No convenient overnight, cheap trickle charge for them.
Yes, but having been one of those city people, you are driving like 20 miles a week. Even with 'vampire drain' (losing 1 percent or so a day sitting), coming topped off from a trip to the country etc would be fine for these folks.

And I think 6 % new sales in the US last year. To me that is astoundingly high. A few years ago I thought we would be at 10% end of decade. Now, who knows. 40%? 50?

New roof tomorrow. Solar signed up but hopefully in this year.

Darned insurance company said my roof only had five years less and would not renew unless I got a new one. Never heard of that before. And my roof is like 15 years old . . . . Spent a quantum of time fighting and just decided if solar is going to be up why fight that hard.
Home insurance is becoming a major issue nationwide.. In Florida it is crushing the real estate market..many home down there have terra cotta tile roofs. cost of replacement for med size house up to 80k..

Home insurance is becoming a major issue nationwide..
Certainly is. I was in a wrestling match with my old agent/company that I had been with for 40 years. I now have a new agent/company. Insurance is great right up until the time you try and use it.

Certainly is. I was in a wrestling match with my old agent/company that I had been with for 40 years. I now have a new agent/company. Insurance is great right up until the time you try and use it.
Yeah sorry for the digression. I was really suprised. I didn't even have a claim in. They used a drone and said my roof had less than 5 years on it (I am sure it has about 10 more than that). I think they are doing whatever they can to reduce costs (including avoiding some future claim by forcing me to replace my roof).

Net net it is fine for me because all other things being equal I'd rather put solar on a new roof, but this is one of those things where I think in a few years there will be a big class action settlement for bad faith by insurance cos.

Finally got to use the frunk as a cooler during our street block party last week. Worked great.

The tent was open and very popular with the neighborhood kids though I had to clean out a bunch of crumbs.

TJ if you do this don’t be surprised about the amount of water that drips out haha.

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 51
Back