ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Should be, but I've run darn hard for the past 57 years. I think it will be longer, more like 30+ before EV is real. It's nowhere near, imo, being useful here in the NE for what I do.
24% of new vehicle registrations in China (right now) are electric vehicles. Is that “real” enough for you?

Doesn’t take too much imagination to see that number increasing to 75-80% relatively quickly (and expanding to other countries)

This is a real concern. All we get on this is happy talk but the potential unintended consequences could be pretty bad.
What happens to cars now when they hit the end of their lifespan? Do they turn into dandelion fuzz & float away?

Lots of stuff in these newer vehicles is recyclable. Probably a good business to get into early.

I think ewaste will be addressed fairly quickly.

Funny how some people don't view the chemicals coming from the tailpipe as waste.

24% of new vehicle registrations in China (right now) are electric vehicles. Is that “real” enough for you?

Doesn’t take too much imagination to see that number increasing to 75-80% relatively quickly (and expanding to other countries)

I saw a disturbing video about China EV’s

I think EV’s in a city setting are a good idea but they primarily use coal for power generation. I don’t see a win as long as they rely on coal.

I saw a disturbing video about China EV’s

I think EV’s in a city setting are a good idea but they primarily use coal for power generation. I don’t see a win as long as they rely on coal.
Coal is a major problem. But even in West Virginia where 91% of their electric comes from coal here's how emissions stack up.

But certainly understanding total waste footprint of various options and mitigation methods is critical.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627-150456~2.png
    Screenshot_20230627-150456~2.png
    441.3 KB · Views: 34
Agree, if I lived in a metro area, driving say 5k a year, and didn't need a truck, I would look into an EV. All modes of transportation have their place. Again, I don't like the government cramming this down our throats. We should have choices in what we drive.

There are a lot of problems still to be solved. Even in a city setting, there are big challenges. A lot of people in NYC park their cars on the street and move them for street sweepers, occasional errands and getting out on weekends. No convenient overnight, cheap trickle charge for them.

Back